Author Topic: Winkfield 18/6/1843 COOPER or JAMES  (Read 1096 times)

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winkfield 18/6/1843 COOPER or JAMES
« on: Tuesday 13 February 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone with access to Winkfield Parish registers look up a baptism for me of my great grandfather. A cousin looked this up many years ago but would like anothers opinion. It was 18th June 1843 Winkfield Berks a Samuel Cooper to a Mathias or Matthew Cooper wife Eliza James. Have never been able to find this baptism on any online sources and would appreciate it if someone could look this up and if cannot find the baptism, could they list the baptism which is on the 18/6/1843 or that date a year either way just incase she had transcribed it wrong. Thanks in advance, Elizabeth

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WINKFIELD 18/6/1843 COOPER OR JAMES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
If Samuel was born about 1843 there should be a Statutory Registration record, however I can not find one in Berkshire anywhere near that date.
I did find a tree which noted a Samuel Cooper was born 18 Jan 1843 in Berkshire father Mathias. He married Patience Smith in 1872 but no registration or census returns, as far as I can see?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
If it was a baptism date 18 June 1843 was a Sunday so the year is probably right ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 02:07 GMT (UK) »
I had already looked at the gro.gov search the birth, as they were romany gypsies they didnt always register the births that early, although my gt gt grandparents Mathias and Eliza did register one child in 1847. That is the right couple, my gt grandfather married Patience Smith in 1872 in Poynings with his fathers sister Genty and husband James Hazelgrove as witnesses. I did a search on rootschat and realised I had already asked the same question in 2006 with no replies! I know all about my my family, just wanted to verify the actual baptism as it gives a different mothers maiden name for my gt gt grandmother Eliza.  I just might have to go to Reading to look at the registers. Ive looked online to see if any Winkfield baptism registers are available to buy but cannot find any, not even Berkshire family history society have them for sale. Find my past has the burials but nothing else. Looks like I will just have to do it the old way that I used to do since 1972, trudge around the records offices!

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say thank you to you both, Colin and Rosie for taking the time :)