Author Topic: 49th West Riding Division  (Read 1606 times)

Offline haux

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
49th West Riding Division
« on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone a little more clued up on this could help me out. I'm trying to track down more info & photos on two of my relatives that fought during WW2.

Sgt James Duffy
Sgt Laurie Duffy

They were both in the same division '49th West Riding division' and from Otley (Leeds). They were both Royal Artillery but I can't find records anywhere (probably because I'm searching in the wrong places.)

I know from stories that my granddad told me that they were in Iceland, Europe & then shelled the 'bejesus' out of Osenbruck in 1945?

I've attached a photo of them both together in Iceland below.

Thanks!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 49th West Riding Division
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
You can't find their records because WW2 records are still held by MOD, you will have to apply for them to be able to follow their war. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

MaxD

Something to read meanwhile https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49th_(West_Riding)_Infantry_Division  you'll note the division had its fair share of artillery units so you need their records to know which unit they were in to follow them properly.

There is some bibliography at the bottom, you may be able to get a book or two from the library.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

I applied for a record last year and it took about 6 weeks to arrive.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Ok brill, thanks for the help.

So once I get these records I'll know what unit & then what resources are there for media & other things?

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, their units within the division are an essential starting point.

And a belated welcome also, do come back when you hva e the records if you need more help.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline haux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Getting the info from MOD is hard because I have no way to contact his sons/daughters - however I found a letter.

Service number: 817525
B.S.M Duffy - 69th Field Regiment
E’ Troop, 448 Battery

Is this the info I'd need?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it is a bit more than that you need as the link to the gov.uk web site explains.   Need to take this slowly:
When did he die and do you have a copy of his death certificate?  Do you have his date of birth? As you can't contact his sons or daughters you will only get the bare minimum of information if he died less than 25 years ago, a little more if he died more than 25 years ago: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/545056/request_service_details_general_enquirers_pt1_v6.pdf

There is also something not quite right about his number.  The number belongs to a different name according to the Royal Artillery attestations book.  There is a James Gavan Duffy (no further detail) with a number that starts 817 enlisted in 1932 - does that sound right for your man?

Better news is that the regiment (pedantically he was in E Troop of 448 Battery of 69 Field Regiment) has come up before on Rootschat in this thread  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716688.0 and Andy has listed the war diaries for the regiment that can be obtained from the National Archives. Without his record we don't know whether he was in that regiment throughout but if he joined pre war and he was in Iceland and later Germany then you'd have to take a view although getting all the war diaries would not be a cheap process even through the more reasonable copying services that exist.

Sorry about the battering - can I suggest we look first at the getting of his records and see where you are with date of birth, death date and certificate?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline haux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max,

James Gavan Duffy is correct & it's actually 817232, handwriting for that time was so neat you can't actually read it haha

I spoke with my grandad who confirmed with me that he stayed with the 69th right up till 1945, along side his brother Lawrence (Laurie). I have a picture of their cap badge too which got passed down.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Getting there!  817232 joined on 28 January 1932 and was discharged on 10 March 1946.

The badge you show is not his cap badge but his badge of rank as a Warrant Officer Class 2 and from the post card we see he held the appointment of Battery Sergeant Major, the senior non commissioned man in the battery.

MaxD

Was the brother Laurence Sydney, joined in 1930??

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk