Author Topic: Queen's Row  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queen's Row
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I apologise if I've appeared reticent but I hadn't wished to impose beyond the question of geography.  It seems that you are very willing to go further on my behalf and all I can do is thank you for it. 

So here's the story:   Henry Moir (junior) was a bad apple who got himself into trouble and ended up transported to Australia in 1824.  His father, Henry Moir Snr. was hospitalised at St. Bart's at that time and that's the subject of another thread.  We have been trying to track down young Henry's mother, whose maiden name was Mary Errol.  Married at St. Dunstan's in the West 10th September, 1804 and had her first (known) child, John Milton Moir, on the 29th November that same year. Nothing is known about John Milton Moir subsequent to his birth and baptism. Young Henry was baptised on 15th December, 1808 at the Sardinian Chapel in Lincoln Fields.  Henry Moir Snr. was a compositor according to his son's death certificate.  Only known abode Bream's Buildings. 

The Mary Moir at Queen's Row was worth checking out - but it is not in a cluster with the other places we have identified as being connected with the family. 

I will probably have to abandon ship at this stage as it is approaching midnight here but I'll certainly check the thread again in the morningl 

Again, thank you.   J

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't wished to impose beyond the question of geography.  It seems that you are very willing to go further on my behalf and all I can do is thank you for it.

It was just a question of checking the facts from the context. Once we knew the burial details it became clear that you were researching the wrong Queen's Row.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Here are some more addresses to interest you:

Moir, Henry, formerly of John-Street, West Smithfield, Newsvendor, and late of Mais-Place, Fetter-Lane; both in London, Printer.

Gazette, 13 January 1824

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17992/page/77

I think Henry junior was a "news carrier" ? It seems to fit.

ADDED:  Henry junior was arrested in Bartholomew Close - right by Barts Hospital, in Smithfield.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Henry Jnr's prison record (FindMyPast) has birth place as "Chancery Lane".

If you have access to old London maps ("Mapco") check Darton's 1817 map (select grid/box 3 on top line). That location now looks to be the east end of Pentonville Road.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Bream's Buildings were/are in Chancery Lane in the City - between Fleet Street and Holborn. Bottom left in this section of Darton's map: http://mapco.net/darton1817/darton08b.htm

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Bream’s Buildings (which is a small street) is very much still there - just off Chancery Lane.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Henry Jnr's prison record (FindMyPast) has birth place as "Chancery Lane".

If you have access to old London maps ("Mapco") check Darton's 1817 map (select grid/box 3 on top line). That location now looks to be the east end of Pentonville Road.

Rereading post I realise my reference to "That location ...." appears to refer to "Chancery Lane". It in fact refers to "Queen's Row" - apologies.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I found this.....
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I only just found your posts when I revisited the thread.  Email notification didn't appear to have happened.  There are some excellent clues for me to follow up.  Particularly interesting is the reference to Henry Moir in 1824 as a news vendor (complete with addresses!)  Henry's son's death certificate shows his occupation as a compositor.  Lovely image of Bream's buildings!  My thanks again.  J