Author Topic: Queen's Row  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Queen's Row
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun, The 1841 was a no-show for the family in which I was interested, but it did give me an idea of the number of residences/businesses along the row.  Would the numbers have been on just one side of the street?  That's how I interpret the word row. I notice some gaps in the numbers.  This might mean unoccupied or if one had to subscribe to the directories - perhaps some chose not to pay.  There was also some doubling-up which would seem to indicate sub-divided properties. 

The Lockie's topography looks like an excellent source of information and I'll have to drill down to find out about Queen's Row.  Many of the references appear to lead to Pimlico but I'll need to sort them out. I have no guarantees of which Queen's Row is the appropriate one - but I'll have a look at a map showing where the subject was buried in 1821 which might help. 

I'm not local (Australia) so not familiar with the London geography.  Thank you for all your help.  J

Have just seen the posts from hanes teulu.  I'll have to check out those newspaper entries.  The subject was buried at Islington, St. James, Pentonville.  Haven't had a chance to check maps yet. 

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was the Bowles map I was referring to.   I had to sit and compare it with a modern day map and sort out where Queen's Row had been before apparently becoming a section of Buckingham Palace Road. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The subject was buried at Islington, St. James, Pentonville

Isn't the Queen's Row in Pentonville a more likely abode than Pimlico in that case?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Are you willing to provide the person’s name? It would be easier to help you find which Queen’s Row he or she was associated with.

It is far from obvious why anyone from Pimlico would be buried at Pentonville.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
The subject was buried at Islington, St. James, Pentonville

Isn't the Queen's Row in Pentonville a more likely abode than Pimlico in that case?

Agreed.
Just confirmed the 1821 death at Queen's Row, Buckingham Gate, was a 27 year old (original post mentions 50).

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
It's Mary Moir, presumably

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The name of the party was Mary Moir who was buried on the 8th November, 1821.  Not held back for any reason other than that I was focused on the locality.   I will be trying to find out whether Mary is the wife of Henry Moir, compositor, later resident at Bream's Buildings.  If she is that Mary Moir, she married Henry at St.Dunstan in the West, had one child baptized there in 1804 and another baptized at the Sardinian Chapel (Lincoln's Fields) in 1808. 

I am quite prepared if this is not the Mary Moir I am seeking - but will be quite satisfied to have learned something new along the way.

J

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting.  I have a copy of the original burial entry for Mary Moir at Islington, St. James, Pentonville on the 8th November, 1821 and it definitely says 50 years.  27 years old in 1821 means born 1894 so too young to have a child in 1804.  I wonder whether there is an error in the newspaper entry? 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper entry is someone else entirely. A Robert Webster. You hadn't told us about Mary Moir at that stage. Or Pentonville.