Author Topic: FINNEY of ellastone  (Read 6806 times)

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FINNEY of ellastone
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I pretty much concur with your proposal for the line of succession re: Thomas & Margaret Walker, Thomas & Unknown, John & joan Higginbotham and Raphe 1612. I keep my eye out for any new records that might help confirm or otherwise my thoughts.
It is interesting that John Fynnye and Joan Higginbotham's first born son William was born out of wedlock. As the parish baptism records on 1st Feb 1608 William son of John Fynnye, tailor & Joan Higginbotham, spin. It would seem that illegitimate births did not carry the stigma of later, when only the mother's name would be recorded. Evidently at this period father's were happy to claim their illegitimate offspring.
Incidently I have a copy of the will of Jonathan Finney of 1734. If you don't have this I will see if I can send you details.
Finney Wills

Will of Joseph Finney of Stanton probate 24th July 1852
Will of Jonathan Finney of Wootton 19th May 1845
Will of Samuel Finney of Wootton 29th April 1840
Will of Charles Finney of Ellastone 20th December 1837
Will of David Finney of Ellastone  26th  October 1836
Will of Mary Finney of Wootton 21 Oct 1823
The deposition of Samuel Finney in relation to the will and death by suicide of Samuel Gallimore late of Ellaston 27th Sept 1752
Administration of Jonathan Finney of Ellaston 14th Nov 1734
Feoffment of Thomas Fynny 1558

Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
hi

yes i noticed that william was illegitimate, maybe in rural areas it didnt carry the same stigma?.
my george 1834 was also illegitimate, he was born to emma1818 when she was 16 (charles and ellens daughter). george 1834 was brought up by his grandparents charles1785 and ellen (kent) 1784. (jonathon was charles gt grandfather) this wasnt apparent until later census's and georges second marriage. in fact georges second daughter, my gt grandmother emily 1859 also had an illegitimate daughter who she gave up prior to her marrying my gt grandfather george hill. i think its likely that george hill refused to bring up another mans daughter and made emily chose... (if it was his daughter, im sure theyd have kept her).

ive seen the will of jonathon finney 1734, but tbh find it difficult to read (my old eyes arent that clever). from what i can make out he left everything to ann, as you suggested, and he was a farmer? owning cows and sheep?. unfortunately for me, i dont think the other wills listed are anything to do with my line directly (unless brothers/sister are mentioned)

one thing that bothers me a bit about jonathons parents. we know sarah 1666, ann 1668 and thomas 1668 (twins?)  john 1673, margaret 1680 and elizabeth 1683, plus a burial of a daughter in 1665 (christian name obscured by water mark) are all credited as having william and ann as parents.... so why doesnt jonathon who only has william as a parent?

to me that leaves the door open to our jonathons father william not being the same william who married ann and had those children. however, the date of jonathons birth fits the pattern of births of william and ann.

thinking about it then, suggest to me that we can only be certain of the lineage back to jonathon, and whilst william 1636 is likely to be jonathons father, im not sure it can be proven. we know there are missing records (ralph 1612, william 1636 marriages for eg) or uncertain records for this period. so its perfectly feasible that there was another william and the unproven tree back to thomas 1528 might well be wrong, or incomplete.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I think it reasonable to assume (with the proviso that as we get further back certainty is enevitably going to be in short supply) that William (and Ann) were Jonathan's parents. There arn't really any other William's about that fit the bill (according to records). Having gone over the parish records the recording of the mother's name seems somewhat arbitrary. One entry for Alstonfield rather unhelpfully records "Buried wife of William Finney of Cala (Carr Lane?)" in 1647. It would also help if we knew who Ann was. All I have to go on is a 1665 Marriage of william to Ann off another researcher (who didn't recall where he got it from) which is about as slim as you can get.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Jonathan Finney will transcript (pt1)

The Admin of Jonathan Finney of Ellaston
Probate 14 Nov 1734

At Cheddleton 14th Nov 1734
Before Richard Rider esq. Bachelor of Law

Which day appeared personally AnnFinney
And did allege that Jonathan Finney –late of the parish of Ellastone in the county of Stafford and diocease of Lichfield and Coventry dyed above fourteen days ago intestate, that she is the widow of the said deceased and the person to whom the right of action doth belong therefore he prayed letter of administration of the goods and personal estate of the said deceased to be committed and granted to her whith the judge aforesaid upon mature deliberation and administering to the said Ann Finney – the usual oath taken by administrators decreed to be granted to her.
The said Ann Finney was then duly favour[ed] and the action was deferred by me
R Rider
Whish (?)
G Hand, farmer

Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Jonathan Finney will transcript pt2

Know all men by these present that wee Ann Finney of the Parish of Ellastone in the county of Stafford, widow, Henry Heath (?) of the same place, yeoman & John Heath of the same place, taylor are held and firmly bound unto the right reverend Hathersin God Richards by Divine possession Lord Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry in the sum of two hundred pounds of good and lawfull money of Great Britain to be paid unto the said Lord Bishop or his certain attorney, his executors, Administrators or assigns to which payment well and truly be made. Wee oblige our selves and such of us by himself or herself for the whole our and such of our heirs executors and administrators firmly by these presents sealed with our seals dated the fourteenth day of November in the eighth year of the reign of our sovereign Lord George the 2nd by the Grace of God of Great Britain, France and Ireland King, Defender the faith and so forth and in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and thirty four.
The condition of this obligation is such that if the above bounden Ann Finney widow X administrator of all and singular the goods chattels and credits of the said deceased which have or shall come to the hands of possession or knowledge of person or persons for her and the same so made do exhibit or cause to be exhibited into the registry of the said Bishop’s consistory at Lichfield at or before the last day of February next ensuing and the same goods chattels and credits and all other goods to the hands or possession of the said Ann Finney or into the hands and possession of any other person or persons for do well and truly administer according to law and further do make or cause to be made a true and just accompt of her said administration at or before the last day of November 1735 and all the rest and residue of the said goods chattels and credits which shall be found remaining upon the said administrators accompt the same being first examined and allowed by the judge or judges for the time being of the said court shall deliver and pay unto such person or persons respectively as the said judge or judges by his or their decree or sentence pursuant to the true intent and meaning of a late act of parliament made in the two and twentieth and three and twentieth years of the reign of our late sovereign Lord King Charles the second (intituled an act for the better settling of intestates estates) shall limit and appoint and if it shall hereafter appear that any late will and testament was made by the said deceased and the executor or executors therein named do exhibit the same into the said court making request to have it allowed and approved accordingly if the said Ann Finney above bounden being thereunto required do render and deliver the said letters of administration (approbation of such testament being first had and made) in the said court then this obligation to be void or else to remain in full force and virtue.
Sealed and delivered being first duly stamped in the presence of

John Fletcher, Beolary Pub.
The mark of Ann Finney
Hen Heath
John Heath

Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Jonathan Finney Will transcript pt3

A true and perfect inventory of  all the goods cattels and chattels of Jonathan Finney of Wootton in the parish of Ellaston and county of Stafford. Husbandman lately died taken and apprised the seventeenth day of September Anno Domini 1734 by us whose names are under written

First of all his purs[e] and apparrill ---------- £0:15:0

Item the goods in the house place, a table, a cubbord, four chairs, three littell pewter dishes, a long chair, two bowkes (buckets, specifically a wooden pail. could also mean books), two pauns (pans), a churn, a chees[e] tub. ------------------------------------------ £1:1:6

Item the goods in the great parlor and Bead (bed) with all things belonging to it. One chest, two boxes, a littell table ---------- £1:5:5

Item the goods in the littell parlor. One bead (bed) with all things belonging to it, one coaver (coffer), two iron potts and one iron kettell ---- £1:1:6

Item the goods in the chamber over the Great parlor all the cheese and cheese shelves ------------------------------------------------ £5:15:0

Item the goods in the chamber over the house place one littell table, one coaver (coffer) and a littell box and hamper --------------------- £0:3:10

Item the goods in the chamber over the littell parlor one pair of beed stids (bed steads) and all things belonging to it and one swine kinmell (tub used for brewing or making bacon)---£0:14:8

Item two mares, two goates, a yearling coult (colt) --- £10:5:0

Item eight cowes, one heifor (heifer), three stirks(young bullocks), five caued (calves) – £29:10:0
Item twenty six sheep --------------------------------£8:5:0

Item the goods in the barne and field as to hay and corne – £11:0:0

Item one cart and all other husbandry ware -----------------£2:15:0

Item all other lumber goods seen and unseen -------------£0:10:0

John Oakes appreisor
Sum totalled ---------------------------------------------£74:4:6
Thomas Sherard(?)
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 February 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I think it reasonable to assume (with the proviso that as we get further back certainty is enevitably going to be in short supply) that William (and Ann) were Jonathan's parents. There arn't really any other William's about that fit the bill (according to records). Having gone over the parish records the recording of the mother's name seems somewhat arbitrary. One entry for Alstonfield rather unhelpfully records "Buried wife of William Finney of Cala (Carr Lane?)" in 1647. It would also help if we knew who Ann was. All I have to go on is a 1665 Marriage of william to Ann off another researcher (who didn't recall where he got it from) which is about as slim as you can get.

absolutely, i think thats fair..

cheers for the will transcript. appreciate that! its not easy to follow in typed english let alone scribed writing from 300 years ago!

is there any evidence of where they lived? im assuming they were tennants.

cheers :)

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 February 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Possibly there is a record but it will be in Stafford records. My line mainly stayed in Wootton just up the road from Ellastone, so most of the records are what I have for there. There are quite few records manorial court records, lists of persons in the village, lists of journeymen, lists of jurors etc. I also have an 1844 map of Wootton with plot numbers which I have linked to a few Finney families. The latter information came from Simon Manby, an artist who lives in Wootton in a house previously occupied by one of the William Finneys and Henry Ratcliffe. He wrote a book about the Philospher Jean-Jacques Rousseau who stayed at Wootton hall in the 18th century.
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 February 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Possibly there is a record but it will be in Stafford records. My line mainly stayed in Wootton just up the road from Ellastone, so most of the records are what I have for there. There are quite few records manorial court records, lists of persons in the village, lists of journeymen, lists of jurors etc. I also have an 1844 map of Wootton with plot numbers which I have linked to a few Finney families. The latter information came from Simon Manby, an artist who lives in Wootton in a house previously occupied by one of the William Finneys and Henry Ratcliffe. He wrote a book about the Philospher Jean-Jacques Rousseau who stayed at Wootton hall in the 18th century.

interesting stuff... my line left wooton c1800, although john1753 lived there before he died in 1814. his son charles 1785 seemed to have been brought up in alton/farley, and he lived there when george 1834 was born.

out of interest, what is your line to jonathon 1678?, just wondering when our lines meet.