Author Topic: FINNEY of ellastone  (Read 6805 times)

Offline robert g shaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FINNEY of ellastone
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 18 March 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
afraid not, think it might be on the internet somewhere, others will know more i think.
Derbys - Hill, Atkins, Kirkland, Hutchinson, Hallam, Rose, Houseley, Astle.
Lancashire - Shaw, Greenwood, Fowler, Yates
Gloucester - Nethercott, Flight,
Suffolk - Easey, Stannard, Meadows, Mann, Turner, Juby
Warwicks - Atkins, Sumner, Mower, Howe.
Staffs - Finney, Kent, Corden, Chatterton

Offline Tom A Coburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 November 19 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm also new to this site and have also reaserched my family trees for my Coburn side and have over the years tried to do my Finney side but have had not much luck. I am wondering if my family is conected to this family as we are also from Stoke on Trent, and Mier and Longton. My grandmother was  Dorothy May Finney born 1928 -1971/ 72, She was married to John Edward Coburn of Mier Stoke on Trent. My grandmother had many brothers and sisters. Her father was Jack Finney born 1904 died 1957 .married to Doris Norbury. And that's when I hit the wall, I just can't seem to find any records before this. However I did find on familysearch.org that there was a Jack finney at the age of 11 in a houshold who the father was a William Finney born 1864 married to Mary Ann..Now in my family,there is a handed down story and my father says that it's what he and his family have always believed, that Jack Finney came from Ireland with his family and they where traverlers(he always uses the name tinkers but i know you shouldnt) and came on their wagon from co. cork. However I have had no luck in finding anything about that at all, and can only seem to find finneys of Elleston and staffordshire.Could we be off the same family. Any help would be very very appreciated...Many Thanks Tom
Coburn,Finney,Hulme

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 November 19 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I have Finney's from Longton area who originated from Ellestone and Wootton but had a brief spell in Ireland as caretaker farmers. They were in Tipperary around the late 1800's before returning to Staffordshire. Unfortunately for you my William Finney was born 1846 and married a mary Malkin
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 November 19 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Tom.

It may be better to start a new query on the Staffs Board to deal with your Family.

In the meantime may I ask if you have Jack/Doris's Marriage Cert?
If so what was his occp and his Fathers name/occp from it, witnesses also?

I did notice Jack was not at home in the 1939 Census.

Also my Father was always known as Jack but his birth name was John and he was born 1907 when that was common.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tom A Coburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 25 November 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish thanks for the reply and the welcome. I will post to the staffs board thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have there marriage certificate, Just a found file on familysearch.org but their it has no actual scanned copy of the real thing.  But i do know that it was 1927 when they where registered, the same year there first child Jack was born. Jack the son was born 1927  and was buried in Palestine 1946 (in fact that was my first clue I found on CWGC.org, a note from Jack and Doris to their son Jack, and I know my father often mentioned Jack junior) so I knew that that was there names and that they lived in Mier.Jacks wife Doris was a Norbury and i think she was born 1906 died 1971 in Leek. Their children   where Jack, Dorothy May(My grand mother) George, Irene, Brenda, Raymond and Arthur  .But it is possible that GG Jack was a John also, My Grandfather Coburn was also called Jack but his name was realy John.
Geting further back past GG Jack has been very difficult, and the only jack I can find is in Stoke longton, if it is the correct one, is on a 1911 residence cencus, Jack is 7 years old and his father was a William finney born longton 1864 worked as a potters giggeser (my grand mother dorothy also worked  the pottery, but Jack was a coal miner), again I'm not sure if this is right because my father always said Jack came from Ireland, and again I haven't found any matching Jacks their. So it could be that he was a John.
All the best Tom
Coburn,Finney,Hulme

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 25 November 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Jack Finney and Doris Norbury - 1927 - was held at Resurrection Church, Dresden - StaffordshireBMD

Added:  Images for marriages at this church on FindMyPast end at 1900

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately this is a case where you need to really buy that M/C to follow Jacks Family line.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
?

Jack and his Wife Doris named their children

George, Irene, Brenda, RAYMOND  and Arthur

---

There is a marriage at Fenton Christ Church, Stoke on Trent of

Harold FINNEY and Caroline WOOD (Staffordshire BDM) 1931

This couple name one of their Sons, Raymond John - (June Qtr 1935)

_

?

On the 1911 census,
116 Sun Street, Shelton Potteries

FINNEY

William J - 42, married 22 years, 14 children born alive, 3 who have died,
Coal Miner Hewer, all born Shelton, Potteries, Staffs

Martha - 42
Thomas - 21
Eliza - 19
Florence - 17
William H - 15
Frederick - 12  His Army record is on Ancestry - address 1911 census (mother called PATSY)
Joseph - 10
Arthur - 8
John - 5
Ivy - 4
Harold - 2
Hilda M - 3 months  (Hilda Marion) - mother's maiden name: SPENCER, Staffordshirebmd

-----

Not sure if any family connection, but the same Church were John married

Wishful Thinking

Some Memorial Inscriptions - Dresden, Staffordshire
The Resurrection Churchyard and War Memorial

Frederick J FINNEY

Ancestry - death date - 8 October 1918
Death Place, France and Flanders
Enlistment Place, Longont, Staffs

---

This tree is on Ancestry

William Thomas FINNEY and Martha SPENCER

Children:  Thomas 1890, Eliza 1891, Florence 1894, Frederick 1898, Rose 1899, Joseph 1901, Albert Edward 1902, Arthur 1903, John 1905, Ivy 1907, Harold 1909 & Hilda

Offline Tom A Coburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Jack and doris's children are Jack,Dorothy,Raymond,Brenda,George,Irene,Frank, Arthur,that I'm sure ...and I know they had many children  and a couple children did die young. Im pretty sure Jack also  worked in the mines.
Coburn,Finney,Hulme