Author Topic: Driver in the 66th Field Artillery?  (Read 620 times)

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Driver in the 66th Field Artillery?
« on: Wednesday 14 February 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm trying to suss out the whereabouts of an ancestor - William Houghton. He was born in about 1873 (I cannot locate a birth record in GRO or Scotland although his parents were John Houghton and Harriet Lloyd). He married my great great grandmother Rose Hannah (who was Scottish) in Scotland. They had a son in Hampshire, England in 1899 and a daughter in Scotland in 1900. When he got married in 1895 he was a private in the 84th Royal Artillery and by 1899 when his son was born, he was a driver in the 66th Royal Artillery. Can anyone help me find out more about him?

I definitely think he died in WWI. Rose remarried in 1920's and was recorded as a widow. I live in Ireland so going to any archives in England is out of the question at the minute.

Thanks!
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Driver in the 66th Field Artillery?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Presumably he was in South Africa in 1901. There was a Driver W Houghton (8074) with 67 Battery who was invalided home.

Do you have the family in the 1911 census?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I found his wife and two kids living in Scotland in 1901. She is recorded as ‘wife of a soldier’. I can find none of the family in 1911 however. In fact, I can’t find those two kids at all after 1901. I know Rose remarried and then died in 1930s.

Can’t find any of them in 1911 though!
Hanna, Donoghue, Johnson, Williams, Glackin, Bradley, Fenlon, Carroll, McGinley, Haughey, Holmes, Cross

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
You've probably seen the George Houghton/Harriet Lloyd marriage in Birmingham RD in 1865. There was a William Edwards Houghton born in Kings Norton RD in 1875, mmn Lloyd. That family needs to be researched, I suggest.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitHannay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh thanks so much for that, I'm looking into that now.