Author Topic: Margaret Brown McMillan b1843 Sorbie died 1920 Kilmarnock -location of grave?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoping for for suggestions as to a possible burial location for Margaret Brown b1843 who married William McMillan 1871 in Belfast after living most of her life in Gatehouse Of Fleet she died 8th September 1920 whilst living next door to her son in law George Rome in India Street, Kilmarnock.
I contacted Kilmarnock council for a search of old & new cemeteries for both Rome & McMillan burials without success, also searched old & new burial grounds in Gatehouse of Fleet although I cannot see the family taking her back as her husband was lost at sea in 1891, all their children had left the are by mid 1900's.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Brown McMillan b1843 Sorbie died 1920 Kilmarnock -location of grave?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 March 18 13:58 GMT (UK) »
hi olduser1
do you have the death certificate , just wondered if there might be any clues  on it !
or maybe you can find out where her husband has been buried , she might be with him !
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Brown McMillan b1843 Sorbie died 1920 Kilmarnock -location of grave?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi elinga, Her husband was lost a sea no no gravestone, she lived all her married life at Gatehouse of Fleet but no trace of her being buried at either cemetery. The Death cert shows she was living next door to her son in law George Rome - also asked the records to search for her within a lair again NT in Kilmarnock. I cant see anyone in the family wanting to take her back to Gatehouse in 1920 more likely she was buried with a daughter in Kilmarnock.
Any other comment/ ideas?

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I come from Irvine just along the road which is under north ayrshire and I havent had a problem not finding a grave , although I have found many unmarked graves !
but even if she had been buried with someone else , there should be a record somewhere !
I just had a look at ancestry,  All UK and Ireland, Find A Grave Index, 1300s-Current results for Margaret Mcmillan and no mention of her there either !
also checked familysearch find a grave !
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 March 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Olderuser1,

Haven't found Margaret McMillan 1843-1920 but would've thought Kilmarnock Cemetery was your best bet.

However , could this be the grave, at Kilmarnock Cemetery, of George Rome and his wife Margaret McMillan Rome -
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/185805336/margaret-rome       - be the grave of Margaret Brown McMillan's daughter and son-in law?

Looby :)

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 March 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Good spotting, thats one of Margaret Browns daughters who married George Rome, when i asked the council to check I mentioned the fact that her son in law's family may have several lairs. No trace so far

Offline Erome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
I have asked a possible relative as he has a note of family stones..  not sure he will be able to help but its at least a try..  I have scoured a few places but never found her..
Fathers side Rome, Roome,  (Carlisle, Dumfries and Galloway and Ayrshire), Boden, Gardiner( Glasgow), Russell( Edinburgh, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire) Drysdale..
Mothers side Macmillan, Hardie, Purves, Williamson all Lanarkshire

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Erome, Thanks for your reply & comments.
If I find the lair I'll let the forum know the outcome.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Just had another no trace from a 2nd search by the council, tried another search on SP all parish records. Could it be the 1920 d of d was the cut off for records held by local churches ?