Author Topic: Joseph Dean- Maltser- Audley  (Read 1473 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Joseph Dean- Maltser- Audley
« on: Friday 16 February 18 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find anything out about Joseph Dean who is mentioned in a Will I am investigating- being the nephew of Joseph Dean who made a Will in 1791 in which he refers to his nephew Joseph Dean- Maltser of Audley.

I would imagine that the Maltser of Audley Joseph was born around 1750-1770- I know it is a long shot but worth an ask!

Any help at all would be brilliant!

Many thanks
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Dean- Maltser- Audley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Dean: There are some stories about him online, some state born 1763 other 1767 but no detail. All agree his death  Burial: 13 Apr 1805 Alton, Stafford, England.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms at St James the Great, Audley:

26 January 1744 - Joseph son of Thomas and Martha.
1 July 1770 - Joseph son of Joseph and Ellin
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Joseph's marriage licence 21.2.1788 Audley St James
Joseph Dean malster bach aged 21 and over
Betsey Evans 21 and over

His Will of 1827 gives him as Malster of Eardley in Audley
He  has 5 sons Joseph ,George ,William,Thomas and John.

His burial of 28.10.1827 gives an age of 72.
So born c1755.

Ciderdrinker

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all of this! I now seem to have 2 Joseph Deans crossing over whic is causing great confusion.
In the Will dated 1827- does Joseph mention any daughter please?
Does that will state that he was a Maltser- or any other occupation?
Does it name his wife?

Because on the info you have given me, his date of birth does not fit with the Joseph born to Joseph and Ellin in 1770!

However, I am excited to know that the marriage of Joseph to Betsy Evans in 1788 states that he was a maltser- so that at least gives me a Joseph Dean of the right age in Audley as a maltser!

I have the Will dated 1791 of a Joseph Dean who also has a son named Joseph as well as a nephew called Joseph. The nephew Joseph is stated as Maltser of Audley- so that fits with the one who married Betsy Evans in 1788.
I have also traced back to find that my Joseph Dean (will dated 1791, died 1805- Wybunbury) had a brother Thomas. Thomas married Martha Frances in 1741 and they had a son Joseph baptised 1744.

So that makes Joseph- son of Thomas and Martha- the nephew to Joseph Dean who made his will in 1791 and died in 1805, in which he sidelined his own son Joseph in preference to his nephew Joseph!

This is  why i am so curios for more info for the Will of Joseph Dean which you mention dated 1827- as I need to know if it relates to the son or the nephew of the Joseph Dean who Willed in 1791 and died in 1805.

A tangled web- so very grateful for any information.
At least the wedding to Betsey Evans fits the nephew Joseph stated as a maltser in Audley!

Many thanks for any help!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 18 16:41 GMT (UK) »
There is no mention of either wife or daughter(s) in the 1827 will, which is available to view via FindMyPast.  He is referred to as Joseph Dean Senior.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you- I think this must therefore relate to Joseph Dean born to Thomas and Martha in 1744.
This would also make him the nephew of Joseph Dean who died in 1805 (Will dated 1791) as Joseph had a brother Thomas born 1717 in Audley.

I am still struggling with sorting out Joseph Dean (Uncle therefore of Joseph Dean in Audley (son of Thomas and Martha)- as he lived for many years at Snape Bank Farm in Weston Wybunbury Cheshire- and also had a son Joseph ( a bit wayward judging by the fact he left his assets to his nephew Joseph and not his son Joseph).

Pressing on! Too many Joseph Deans marrying Elizabeth/ Betty/ Betsy etc ...... grrrrr

Caroline

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
The first I've seen of this.Yes I have a very extensive Dean family from Audley.I include amongst my relatives Joseph Dean 1763-1805 who married Elizabeth Evans 1768-1822 at Audley in 1788.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you- I think this must therefore relate to Joseph Dean born to Thomas and Martha in 1744.
This would also make him the nephew of Joseph Dean who died in 1805 (Will dated 1791) as Joseph had a brother Thomas born 1717 in Audley.

I am still struggling with sorting out Joseph Dean (Uncle therefore of Joseph Dean in Audley (son of Thomas and Martha)- as he lived for many years at Snape Bank Farm in Weston Wybunbury Cheshire- and also had a son Joseph ( a bit wayward judging by the fact he left his assets to his nephew Joseph and not his son Joseph).

Pressing on! Too many Joseph Deans marrying Elizabeth/ Betty/ Betsy etc ...... grrrrr

Caroline

The Thomas and Martha that you mention are my Gtx8-Grandparents.I have Thomas in fact born in 1718 dying in 1792.Martha was a Martha Francis who he married at St Mary's Nantwich in 1742.Martha was born c 1722 in Nantwich and died in Audley in 1792.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk