Author Topic: Evan Daniel Evans b Dolgelly 1822  (Read 24739 times)

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan Daniel Evans b Dolgelly 1822
« on: Friday 16 February 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, I am really struggling with locating the line of Evan Daniel Evans. As an adult he lived in Liverpool but on most Census's he states Dolgelly as place of birth. He sometimes drops the Evan and becomes Daniel. For some reason on the 1881 census he lists Newton, Monmouth as place of birth. Some trees have his father as Evan b 1781  who married Sarah Watkin b 1789  but I have nothing definitive to support this. I think Evan Daniel married Elizabeth Jones b 1830 in Holywell, Flintshire. I don't have a marriage date but they had my great grandfather John Thomas Evans here in 1859. Evan Daniel  worked as a Grocer, in Liverpool and he died about 1887. In one census he was also described as a 'Traveller'.
I have reached a complete blank tracing this line so any help would be gratefully received.
Best wishes
Paul

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Daniel Evans b Dolgelly 1822
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible marriage of those two names in Dollgellau itself in 1852.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks I will investigate this
Best wishes
Paul

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
the GRO index has John Thomas Evans registered in the December quarter of 1859 (Holywell) with a mothers maiden name of Jones. so that fits with you thinking Evan Daniel Evans married an Elizabeth Jones.
The 1852 (16 October 1852) possible marriage in Dolgelly between an Evan Evans (a weaver) and Elizabeth Jones gives parents names as Edward Jones (a malster) and Lewis Jones (a draper)?

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. Evan Evan's father is names as Edward Jones on the marriage certificate do you think this is correct or an error as the brides father is a Jones?
Best wishes
Paul

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
I looked at it twice, as the names didn't match :)
I suppose it could be a mistake by the clerk; neither Evan or Elizabeth could write and signed with a mark.
The witnesses were Owen Thomas (mark of) and Mery James
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
This is proving very difficult to solve!

Elizabeth's birth in Holywell varies on the Census's when residing in Liverpool from 1825 - 1830. Hence, her parentage and precise d.o.b is not yet known.  She had four boys. William b 1856, John Thomas 1858, Richard 1859 and Peter 1864. Peter may have been born in Liverpool the others in Mold/Holywell.

The parentage of Elizabeths spouse Evan Daniel Evans born abt 1822 in Dolgelly is still unknown. They both appear on the 1861, 1881 Census in Liverpool and Evan appears on the children's marraige certificates in Liverpool. Evan is descrived as a Grocer on one  census and a 'Traveller' on another.
Evan does not appear on the 1871 Census inthe family household. Did he go to prison?  I did see one report of a transportation to Australia for an Evan Daniel Evans, a Grocer, yet he is back in Liverpool for the 1881 census. Can anyone provide some assistance?

Bestwishes
Paul

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul, may bear no relation to your Evan Daniel Evans, and apologies for the use of google translate (which doesn't totally translate  ;D sorry)
Newspaper - Baner ac Amserau Cymru 14 November 1860
Mold-Monday, week end-eddaf brought Evan Daniel Evans, and fn is a Baptist Minister in mold, the magistrates of ven under the accusation of granting his house on under on Sunday morning, the 4th of this month, before leaving to fyned to Ruthyn. We found that until about two hours, but the cymmydogion every cynnorthwv to extinguish what made before the advent of machinery to the place. The test was postponed.

Mar

Edit ***
Wrexham Advertiser 17 November 1860
Evan Daniel Evans is formally committed to take his trial at the March assizes for the offence as stated in our last. He was bailed on Saturday evening last at LLwynegrm  by H Raikes, esq.

Seems also to link to the 10 year penal sentence
Surname Interests

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Evan was a grocer in Liverpool and the shop in this case was in Mold so don't think they are related. However, the name does fit and the children were born in Mold so who knows? An interesting case though sounds like he was transported to Australia!
Best wishes
Paul