Author Topic: Boyes brothers from Yorkshire to Victoria in gold rush  (Read 3345 times)

Offline MarionG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boyes brothers from Yorkshire to Victoria in gold rush
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,we do have an interesting problem. My gut feeling is that Thomas was born in 1827 even though the ages are not accurate on the certificates. The parents are correct and match everything else we know about them.    I also found a John Boyce, born April 1829, parents John and Jane. But John's death certificate has his father John and his mother as Sarah. I'm not sure that is accurate as the information is provided by a third party. I can't find any records of a John Boyes or similar name with a father John and a mother Sarah, so I feel the John Boyce is our John. Also John has a son Humphrey which points towards his mother being Jane Humphrey. I'm not sure where we can go to confirm this as the Yorkshire census returns are not all transcribed yet. Pity I am in Melbourne and I can't just go to the Churches to look at their full records.
I haven't seen the book about Leneva but I will look out for it.
Happy searching, I would love to hear anything else you find. I'll be in touch if I learn any more.
Happy Easter Marion

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion, thanks for latest reply. Yes, I agree, getting interesting! If John has a son, Humphrey that looks significant. I have sent for a copy of his marriage certificate. It may take over a week to come. That should state father's name, hopefully correct. Yes, another bapt. in same parish for a Thomas is 25.8.1827 with parents John and Jane. We have them marrying in the parish 21.4.1817. It seems a short gap but they were married by license not from reading of banns. This is less public, often done when bride pregnant. This looks a possibility. So we are down to 2 possible Thomases. If only there were not so many Boyes in the same village.
Will post soon,
Ray

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 April 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion, I have more information. It's still abit confusing because Boyes family prolific and a number of repeated Christian names - north England habit of naming after close relatives. You found John Boyce b. April 1829. That was in Stillington, it's not too far away and could be a possibility. It gives John and Jane as parents. Thomas, bapt Kirkdale 25.8.1827 has parents John and Jane. I can't find a marriage for John and Jane in either parish.
I now have the marriage cert. for John B and Sarah Cooper 2.1.1858. The English certs only give the father, whome he names John - this could work. From age on marr. cert. (28) he was born between 21.1.1829 and 20.1.1830 so that would match. There was a John born in Wombleton, 1830 but had parents Robert and Frances. John and Sarah gave residence as Wombleton, so they probably knew eachor from childhood.
Obviously hard to go back further at this stage but if I can establish parents I can probably easily link to Thomas B and Elizabeth Sunley md in Kirkdale parish and the first mentioned Boyes in Wombleton village. If so I also have their birth parishes taking us back to 17th C.
I shall next look at Humphrey family re your suggestion. There are some in same village..
Best wishes, Ray

Offline Vi5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 March 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray and Marion
Although this post has been dormant for some time, here's hoping.
I am also interested in the Boyes family of Wombleton and am attempting to attach myself to the correct branch!
I notice you mention Thomas Boyes and Jane Wrightson and I believe these to be my 4th Gt.Grandparents. I also have their parents recorded as Thomas Boyes and Elizabeth Sunley. Although I have been looking for a number of years I am unable to find anyone else who seems to be even vaguely related.
I have taken a DNA test and am hoping at some point that this will confirm the paper trail is correct. It would be great to hear from you if you are still researching this line.
Regards Vi