Author Topic: John Michie & Family vanished after 1864  (Read 3326 times)

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Michie & Family vanished after 1864
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census Commonside, Teviothead ,Roxburghshire

John Michie age 36 Farm Steward.      Hawick
Janet Michie age24 wife     Wamphray Dumfrieshire
James Michie  age 6     South Africa ?
John Michie age 2    Teviothead

After 1861 census

William Michie was born Hawick in 1861
Margaret Michie 1863

In 1864  the record from the Jedburgh Sherriff Court confirmed he was the father of Andrew Kerr born 1861 Castleton , Roxburgh. [ My husbands G. G. Grandfather.
I have searched everywhere for this family.
Marriage to Janet Murray 1858  Teviothead Roxburghshire
From this marriage certificate his parents are John Michie  Weaver and Betty Clark.
Thanking you,
Norma

Offline dijaks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Michie & Family vanished after 1864
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Victoria, Australia?  I have a feeling an Ann Michie married a Borrowman in Hawick Roxburghshire, and they migrated to Victoria!  So the Michie's may have emigrated to Oz!Have a look on TROVE which is a website of nearly all the Australian Newspapers ever printed, provided by the Australian National Library.  You need to be careful what you ask for!  I have Borrowmans in my Family Tree, and when I was searching TROVE for them, the other Borrowmans and Michies popped up!  I did not go down that path!  Diane

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at Victoria, Australia?  I have a feeling an Ann Michie married a Borrowman in Hawick Roxburghshire, and they migrated to Victoria!  So the Michie's may have emigrated to Oz!Have a look on TROVE which is a website of nearly all the Australian Newspapers ever printed, provided by the Australian National Library.  You need to be careful what you ask for!  I have Borrowmans in my Family Tree, and when I was searching TROVE for them, the other Borrowmans and Michies popped up!  I did not go down that path!  Diane

Thank you Diane,
Will check this out. I use Trove and they are a wealth of information. Where in Victoria did the Borrowmans and Michies live ? I live in Victoria. I did find a John Michie Victoria Tavern, Murray Street Hobart Tasmania who had subscribed to the Hawick newspaper in 1889. I got this from the Hawick paper on their list of  subscribers.I checked the Jedburgh jail for him. Army and Merchant Navy.  Can you tell me when Ann Michie and her husband *** Borrowman went to Australia.
 If I trace them it might lead me to John Michie.
If they did go to Australia you have to wonder if his wife knew why he was running away.
Norma

Offline dijaks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 04:22 GMT (UK) »
As I said, I did not go down that path.  I seem to remember a George Borrowman and a William Borrowman, and I think it was William who married Ann Michie back in Roxburghshire.  I think I found this couple on Scotlands People, then realised they were not my couple!   They all seem to have lived in the Melbourne area and pop up on the social pages.  My James Borrowman lived in Ballarat in the 1800s.  Are you on Ancestry?  Their shipping records will pop up if you are!  Otherwise, a look at the Victorian Public Record Office Website?  These days, searching on PROV is hard and Borrowman is spelt in so many different ways!  Barrowman, Borroman, etc. etc.  I can't find my James entering the country, but he pops up in the 1850s down near Geelong.  I think George Borrowman may lead you to your Michies!  Ann was probably a sister!  Diane

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 05:16 GMT (UK) »
I am on Ancestry and Findmypast. Have found William Borrowman and Ann Michie.
Nothing about them migrating to Australia. He died 1904 Cavours Roxburghshire and she
died June 1910 Cavours She has Hugh Michie for a father. My John,  has John Michie Sen.
Hugh and John could be brothers.There is the Cavours connection. This is from a tree on Ancestry and we don't believe anything until we check it out .
Will still check Trove. May find a marriage announcement for one of their children or their obituary.Thank you.
Norma

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 06:49 GMT (UK) »
A Janet Michie with other name Murray died in Aberlady, East Lothian in 1880 age 45. Death can be viewed on Scotlandspeople. Might be worth checking out, if only to eliminate.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Isobel.   You have found the correct record. Her parents names match her wedding certificate. She was a widow so will look for a death for John Michie.
Norma.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 18 08:45 GMT (UK) »
1881 census Aberlady ,East Lothian
I found all the children of John and Janet. Who were both dead by then.
John Meckie age 22 Head born Teviothead, Roxburghshire.
William Meckie age20      born Teviothead
Robert G Meckie age 15 born  Ireland
George Meckie age 9  born Ireland
Annie Meckie  age 7 born Ireland
Thomas Meckie age 5 born Ireland.

So John Michie ran of to Ireland .

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
The childrens' births can all be viewed on the irishgenealogy.ie site. Annie appears to have been born Maggie Ann Graham Michie. Thomas is mistranscribed as Thomas Michil on the index. There was also an Adam Michie born 1868. All children born Larne. John was a Shepherd on all the births. Only John Michie death in timescale is in Ballymoney in 1877 age 48. Unfortunately image for this death is not yet viewable.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)