Author Topic: James Stevenson, Navy Surgeon, Steamer Owner, Bottle Maker. Glasgow and Row.  (Read 661 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am currently researching James Stevenson of Anderston, Glasgow, and Row, Helensburgh. What I do know is that he was retired early as a Royal Navy Surgeon on half pay and in the 1820s and 1830s owned several paddle steamers operating on the River Clyde. In the late 1830s he went into partnership with a Hugh Price running a large bottle works in Anderston, Glasgow.
In 1813 he married Elizabeth Robertson, daughter of James Robertson, at the Chapel of Ease, Shettleston. He had homes in Glasgow and Row and appears at the latter, aged 50, in the 1841 census. He died 23 March 1843 and his will is on ScotlandsPeople. I would be very grateful indeed for any information at all which would help me expand my information on this gentleman's life.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Stevenson, Navy Surgeon, Steamer Owner, Bottle Maker. Glasgow and Row.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms for 4 children on SP

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Stevenson, Navy Surgeon, Steamer Owner, Bottle Maker. Glasgow and Row.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that Sancti.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)