Author Topic: Acadia Records  (Read 972 times)

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Acadia Records
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone understand the Acadia records?  I can't quite figure out the locations.  I've got the attached baptism for John Busterd/Buster 4 Jun 1854 in Woodstock (Paroisse), Acadie (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) who I believe is the first child of John Busterd/Buster and Margaret O'Hara.  I can't seem to find the marriage record for the parents.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Acadia Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, charding:

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. Woodstock is in Carleton County, New Brunswick. Paroisse is French for parish.

Have you been able to identify John and Margaret in any of the census records? If they were born outside of Canada, it's possible that they might have gotten married elsewhere. It's also possible that, for some reason, their marriage isn't included in this collection.

Is Buster(d) is an unusual surname? I don't recall coming across it before.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
P.S. Wow, I can't find that baptism by searching via the index. Are you browsing through the record set?

It's also possible that John and Margaret might have been married in a different parish in New Brunswick.
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I did browse through the record set.  I thought I might find their marriage and found this child by happy accident.  I couldn't find their marriage in the records  and can't find them on any census.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
charding,

The scarcity of early records in Canada can be frustrating (at least it has been in my experience).

Have you checked the website for the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick for possible clues: http://archives.gnb.ca/Archives/Default.aspx?culture=en-CA ?

For example, when I click on the link for Vital Statistics from Government Records, and then select Name Index (http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/NameIndex.aspx?culture=en-CA&letter=A&datasets=012), it is possible to enter just the first part of a surname.

When I enter Bust, it gives me several name variants (none of which is Buster or Busterd), and some of the (relatively) more recent entries include the surname Bustard in Carleton County.

I was going to say that perhaps you could find more info by starting later and going backwards from there. But I've just done a Google search, and the results suggest that I am repeating information that you have already seen. For example: https://www.ancestry.ie/boards/localities.northam.canada.newbrunswick.general/6157/mb.ashx

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Josephine

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
There is always the possibilty that they lived over the border in Maine USA since Woodstock is a border community. I was wondering if you have tried looking for them in US censuses?

PB

Edited to add: I finished reading the link posted by Josephine so I know what happened to them now  :). I don't see them in the 1861 Canada census either.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline charding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
My guess is that it relates more yo how the Catholic church operated back then with dioceses etc.  I'm just not sure how else to search.