Author Topic: Legal Advice?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Legal Advice?
« on: Monday 19 February 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
 About 150 years ago, a branch of my family had fall-out following the death, without a Will, of their father;  Thomas Gregory, a large scale, north Derbyshire, farmer.  The case got to Chancery Court, there were contemporary newspaper notices and reports charting its progress.   My problem is that I can't see what they were arguing about.  Is there a web site anywhere that can interpret for me what it was all about?

Alex Edge

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Advice?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
If you provide a link to the online sources (or what documents you have purchased) then someone on here probably has the knowledge
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Case papers are in the National Archives see http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7883817
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks to all my respondents;  why am I always surprised by the depth of resources members of Rootschat can summon up?

So far, my information has come from Public Notices and a Law Report that had appeared in contemporary editions of the "Derby Mercury," weekly newspaper. 

I will absorb the new information you have found for me and, if need be, return for further guidance.

Many thanks    Alex Edge

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 18 18:25 GMT (UK) »
The National Archives documents won't be online. My researches have sometimes come up with nicely printed copies of the case papers which are easy to transcribe and which sometimes have all sorts of interesting information. However I was defeated by another one -the first page, listing most of the people involved, was a bit bigger than an opened tabloid newspaper, and the whole pile of documents was rolled up in a cylinder which looked like a small army kitbag!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I’ve got the case papers on order from the National Archive.  It appears there was a related case in the previous February, it was Smith v. Gregory.  I’d be very grateful for a web address to a report on that case. 

Many thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Alex Edge

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a Law Report on Smith v Gregory but there are many newspaper reports of it in February and March 1868.

But that's about a George Gregory of Whiteholmes near Winster who died in 1867. Not the right one?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone who contributed a response to my enquiry.  I seem to have stumbled on a metaphorical iceberg;  this affair appears to have rumbled on over some five or six years, and is far more convoluted than I had thought.  Seems I have many more miles to go!

Alex Edge