Author Topic: William Armstrong of Molla Burn, Chollerton  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Armstrong of Molla Burn, Chollerton
« on: Tuesday 20 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
New mystery. This is what I know

William Armstrong farmer of St John Lee parish married Mary Ann Lowes on 9 Nov 1815 in Simonburn. He doesn’t appear in 1841 census, wife is head living with children, same in 185, or 1861 wife is living alone, or 1871 wife is living with daughter and her husband.

I had assumed he’d died.

I then found a probate record (attached) which indicate he died 1 Jan 1866. I am fairly certain this is the same William as a) he’s a farmer b) he’s living near Chollerton c) his son is called Henry who is a miner in Blutcher Pit - all these things match

I then looked back at the census where he’s missing, and I noticed that his wife is marked as married not widowed on the 41, 51 and 61 census and then widowed in 71

My question is what happened to him, did he live elsewhereor go to prison? Quite a few William Armstrong appeared for Northumberland criminal records at that time, but I don’t know how to track if it could be him.

I was also wondering where Molla Burn is / was, google search didn’t show anything.

If this probate is him, then I also have an estimated birth year of 1777 now.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: William Armstrong of Molla Burn, Chollerton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find it on a map but I suspect near Gunnerton
if you come up from Gunnerton to Hill Heads,Burn Cottages are on the left hand side of the road perhaps this was Molla Burn
Vision of Britain maps,search Chollerton
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I missed off the fact that probate was granted 8 Sept 1884, but he died in 1866. Why would there be an 18 year gap between death and probate?
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find it on a map but I suspect near Gunnerton
if you come up from Gunnerton to Hill Heads,Burn Cottages are on the left hand side of the road perhaps this was Molla Burn
Vision of Britain maps,search Chollerton
Thanks, I’ve managed to find it now by going through the Gunnerton census. It’s actually Mallow Burn, misspelt. Looks likes 2 households there. I’m not finding William on the 1861 census there or anyone I recognise.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I missed off the fact that probate was granted 8 Sept 1884, but he died in 1866. Why would there be an 18 year gap between death and probate?

The probate calendar shows that Administration of the estate was granted, not probate (in other words there was no will). If his wife survived him she may not have bothered with getting a grant of admin and then, when she died, their son would have had to apply for admin of his father's estate as it would still have been legally in the father's name and had never been passed to the wife.
Do you know when she died?
Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If this probate is him, then I also have an estimated birth year of 1777 now

Both the GRO index and his burial record http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lma/ give his age at death as 73, which by my calculation makes him born c.1793 if he died 1866  :-\

I am fairly certain this is the same William as a) he’s a farmer

He's a farm labourer in 1866, which isn't the same thing  :)

Might this be him in 1861  :-\  :-\ ( I haven't followed this one through at all)

RG9 / 3868 / 134 / 17

Wellhaugh, Kielder

(amongst many other railway labourers)

William Armstrong, lodger, m, 68, railway labourer, Northumberland
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »

The probate calendar shows that Administration of the estate was granted, not probate (in other words there was no will). If his wife survived him she may not have bothered with getting a grant of admin and then, when she died, their son would have had to apply for admin of his father's estate as it would still have been legally in the father's name and had never been passed to the wife.
Do you know when she died?
Boo
Hi Boo, she died in 1878 I believe, so this would fit what you’re explaining. There was then a six year gap for him to start and finish the process.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile