Author Topic: William Fraser, Late of 73rd regiment of Foot  (Read 776 times)

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Fraser, Late of 73rd regiment of Foot
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
After going through a majority of posts on this site to try and get some hints and tips on finding my Illusive 4X G Grandfather, William Fraser, I've finally had to admit to defeat and plea for any help or pointers in the right direction into finding him.

I really don't have much on him, there is a big question mark on his birth, I believe the date to be 24th April 1789, being born in the Parish of Forres, Moray, Scotland. I was hoping to find further details on any Army records I could find to confirm this to continue on with this side of the tree. I have no real evidence here.

On his marriage Certificate, dated 10th March 1810, in Forres. it states...
On this day, William Fraser, pensioner late of the 73th Regiment of Foot, married Christian Robertson

from the birth certificate of his son, John Fraser in 1814, in Forres (my 3x G Grandfather) it states
John, Lawful son to William Fraser, Chelsea Pensioner in Forres and Christina Robertson, was born

from the death Certificate of William Frasers Wife, Christina who died in 1866 in Forres, it states she is the widow of William Fraser Chelsea Pensioner,

All I know from the details I have, his last child was born in 1817, there were two other children born earlier in 1811 and 1812, I have no trace of William Fraser from here. I have his wife in the 1841/1851/1861 in the Forres census at Tolbooth Street, which is the same Street given on her death Certificate.
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Fraser, Late of 73rd regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 12:15 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has discharge papers for several William Frasers of the 73rd, including three who were discharged in 1810 or before:  one born circa 1748, another circa 1767, and another circa 1772. All born in Invernessshire.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I admit to having my eye brush over those a couple of times, I have to get my mind from where it is, having been sure he was born in Moray, but I have no proof of that and your reply has helped me shift my train of thoughts, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the credits to delve deeper into these 3 Williams on the find my family site, maybe 2 as I think I can discount the William born in 1748, not that it's unheard of, but he'd have been 69 when his last child was born in 1817.

I did find a snipped from the National Archive site for the William Frasers born in 1767 listed, not that it gave me anything solid, apart from the fact he was 41 in 1808, having served 22 years and 9 months with the 73rd regiment.

Sadly I doubt I'll have it resolved, as all this happened before he married, and I have no info on him prior to his marriage, but my minds rambling, once more thank you.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've had my eye on the William Fraser b abt 1767, primarily based on his age, location and occupation as a labourer. I have nothing to indicate my William served.
My William Fraser, labourer, d before 1841 presumably Inverness, when his son, John (Simon) Fraser b abt 1796 INV, m2 Liverpool LAN, Hannah Landsborough.
John Fraser m1 1818 INV, Janet McIntosh and they had nine children between 1819-1839 when Janet died in Liverpool.
I'm wondering if anything ever came of your search - were you able to lay claim to this William b abt 1767? Although, I'd have to question his ability to be producing offspring while in service (he's probably not my fellow).
I appear to be a remote DNA match to a number of Frasers or descendants from Kiltarlity and Abriachan, including McGruer, McLennan, McBean/Bain - in case you've tested.
Pat

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat, after what I feel was a life time searching, I came to the conclusion that I had the parents wrong, I've No idea how I came to William Fraser and Christian Robertson, I didn't have a paper trail to take me back to it being them, but after a break through I got back on the right track and found out the real parents of my John Fraser. This side of the family is my Ross and Cromarty side,

I have two Fraser lines, a Fraser married a Fraser in 1870, one line takes me back to Inverness and the other takes me back to Ross and Cromarty, the McGruer side is my Inverness side.

It's possible you and I are related with the surnames and locations you have, My DNA results came in just 3 days ago on Ancestry, I do have close matches to my Inverness line, but no one with a common ancestor. I'm still exploring and pretty new to this DNA stuff, but I will go and have a look and see what matches I have in my Trulines.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
I have an Alexander Fraser m Janet McKenzie, and Paul McGruer m Catherine Fraser.
Children of these couples, Alexander Fraser and Catherine McGruer, married.
These folks are from my DNA match tree. I now believe you belong in there too.
Sadly, I have a number of families in the file who are DNA matches and I haven't been able to connect to them yet.
Cheers!