Author Topic: John Meikle Duff  (Read 4171 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Meikle Duff
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on a John Meikle Duff, born c1843.  His name was given in the Kirk Session records for Girthon Parish, as being the reputed father of my great grandfather, John McQuarrie (later Duff) born 1864 at Gatehouse of Fleet.

In 1875 at Stranraer, a John Meikle Duff married a Maria Donaghy.  At that time John gave his parents as Abraham Meikle Duff and Bridget Fitzpatrick. He gave his address as 2 Dalrymple Street, Stranraer (same address as Maria). I do not have a place of birth for John.

I have cheched Census returns without sucess.

Thanks

Tom

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Meikle Duff
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the Irish records on

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you the birth entry from the Scotlands People website of your great grandfather there maybe an entry in the RCE giving an address and occupation of John Duff you could check the census to see if you can find him or download the marriage you have found to check the occupation as well

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I added the same request on the Wigtownshire section because of the marriage there in 1875.

Yes, I have checked Scotlandspeople and the birth entry.  Father's name is blank. My greatgrandfather was born in 1864 to Lauchlina McQuarrie at Girthon.  In the 1871 Census, his name became John Duff.  He was known as John Duff the rest of his life.  Father's name on his death certificate is also blank.
There is no corrected entry.  Also, when he got married in 1889, the space for his father is empty. According to the Kirk Session record, the reputed father failed to appear.

John M Duff's occupation is down as Labourer.

Thanks for the Ireland link.

Tom

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I see that the 1875 marriage certificate suggests that Abraham Duff was still alive and a farmer. Bridget, John's mother,  is down as deceased.

Have you checked to see if there is a death record for Bridget? Also. if Abraham is still alive in 1875, where is he  :-\

Gadget

Added - the cross linking of the two posts is to try to prevent duplication of effort.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed the place/forms of marriage - Roman Catholic Chapel, Stranraer, according to the forms of the RC Church.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Might be of interest ~

Incoming passengers:

John M Duff. aged 67, arrived Liverpool from Quebec on Empress of Britain on 23 Jun 1911. He was accompanied by Gwendoline, aged 22 and Dorothy, aged 19. Of Scottish origin.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Re previous post~

Having looked at Canadian Censuses on FS, I think that this John was born Aberdeen and arrived in Canada  in the 1850s - pity as it looked promising.