Author Topic: Susannah Hawley/Halley  (Read 758 times)

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
Susannah Hawley/Halley
« on: Friday 23 February 18 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just wondering if someone could do a look up for me please? One of ancestors, James Elliott born 1740 in Nottingham married Susannah. I have found a marriage entry which has her name as Hawley in 1768 but I am wondering if it should be Halley. The reason I say this is because they had a son called Luke Halley Elliott born in 1773. Most of their children were baptised at the Presbyterian church in Nottingham. The first of their children James was born Jan 1769 although I can't find a baptism for him in the non conformist records. James and Susannah married at St. Mary's.

There is a Susannah Halley on the non conformist records on Ancestry but she was baptised in 1769 to John and Susannah a year after mine got married! There is also a Mary Halley baptised to John and Susannah Halley in 1767 in Gainsborough in a Presbyterian church so perhaps these are the same family and therefore nothing to do with my Susannah or is it possible that my Susannah converted after she married and got baptised as an adult?

I can't find any Susannah Hawley's or Halley's born in Nottingham around 1749 on Ancestry, Freereg or Familysearch. Is anyone able to do a look up please?
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Hawley/Halley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was that Halley/Hawley may well be the same name, spelled differently by different people on different days in the time when spellings hadn't been standardised.

Looking on my FHSCD (which is not the most up to date version!) I can't see any possible births for Susannah Hawley (or variants thereof) but I can't see their childrens' baptisms either.

I can see two possible burials of interest at St Mary's - Susanna Elliott, wife of James (12 Mar 1802) and James Elliott, 19 Aug 1806. No ages given for either. Are these yours?

I also saw that a James Elliott married Alice Simpson at St Mary's in 1760. This couple had some children before Alice died Sept 1767. I wonder if this is your James, and whether he was a widower when he married Susanna? It's possible of course that Susanna could also have been a widow and that her birth name could have been something different altogether.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Hawley/Halley
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Just to confirm that James junior was baptised at High Pavement Chapel (Presbyterian) on 31 Jan 1769.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland