Author Topic: German birth record help  (Read 1167 times)

Offline bullocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German birth record help
« on: Friday 23 February 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for assistance with this birth record as I got two interpretations for it: 

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:J4J5-9HJ

First I was told that Christiane Marcus born 1855 had a mother who was also Christiane Marcus who's late father (the first Christiane) was Matthias Marcus

Last night someone read it again as I was looking into something else and she said this:

"Vor- und Zuname der Mutter" which is "first and last name of the mother". So all names in here are female names.

Also it seems that due to the small column size the author decided to shorten "Christiane" which he spelled out in the birthcolumn in full to the shorter version "Xtiane" which is a bit unusual but was common practice back then.

if you follow the row to the right you will also see the list of the witnesses, which are mainly family members. Both male and Female end with Marcus, so Marcus is the last name of the family.

two columns to the left you can see a column that just says "ehelich" or "unehelich", so in conclusion this kid was born out of wedlock. that probably explains why one father had three children with different mothers. as only his first child was by his wife, the other two had to add not only the name of the childs mother but also the name of her actual husband.

So Wilhelm Dieschka and Christiane Marcus had a child, while Christiane was married to Matthias Marcus. Quite a story."

So basically I'd like opinions on which you all think is the right scenario.  Thanks!

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: German birth record help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it possible for you to upload an image? I can't access the Family Search website...

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline bullocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it possible for you to upload an image? I can't access the Family Search website...

Karen

Done

Offline bullocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Anyone alive?  ;D

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Just about.  ;D

The scan is very faint - I'm having trouble deciphering anything at all. Are we talking about the 8th person in the list?
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline bullocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Just about.  ;D

The scan is very faint - I'm having trouble deciphering anything at all. Are we talking about the 8th person in the list?

It's #113

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 18 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Last night someone read it again as I was looking into something else and she said this:

"Vor- und Zuname der Mutter" which is "first and last name of the mother". So all names in here are female names.

It does indeed say "First and last name of mother". However, for several names in that column, a male name has been added directly under the female name. This is the case for #113.

Also it seems that due to the small column size the author decided to shorten "Christiane" which he spelled out in the birthcolumn in full to the shorter version "Xtiane" which is a bit unusual but was common practice back then.

It is still done today in some cases. One example which is still very much in use - love it or hate it - is Xmas for Christmas.

I have now had time to look at everything on my bigger screen, but I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid. Without zoom, it's too small and faint. If I zoom in, everything becomes so unclear that I can't read it.
Maybe someone else here will be able to read it better or improve the scan using software (I can't, I'm afraid).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Karen

Offline bullocks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 February 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »

It does indeed say "First and last name of mother". However, for several names in that column, a male name has been added directly under the female name. This is the case for #113.

It is still done today in some cases. One example which is still very much in use - love it or hate it - is Xmas for Christmas.

I have now had time to look at everything on my bigger screen, but I'm none the wiser, I'm afraid. Without zoom, it's too small and faint. If I zoom in, everything becomes so unclear that I can't read it.
Maybe someone else here will be able to read it better or improve the scan using software (I can't, I'm afraid).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Karen

It's okay!  Do you agree that it looks like Wilhelm Dieschka is the father tho as it looks like he even fathered 3 kids in a row?

I'm mostly stumped about the Matthias Marcus it says under "Xtiane" idk if he's married to her or her father...

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't make out enough to say...   :(

Can you read what the column heading is (the column with Wilhelm's name in)? That might help. I can't help but see "Mutter" in it, too. Could be wrong, though.