Author Topic: Johana Whitson  (Read 3337 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johana Whitson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I found the widowed John and his son in 1911 but I have got Barbara senior's death certificate from Scotlands People in 1908 at 10 Brighton Street, Edinburgh, the witness was her husband and she was 80 years old.
When you talk about her father's 'putative' name, I assume you mean the surname of the biological father? That would make sense but I don't know if it is possible to trace that.
I have just had another look at the 1901 census, the Ancestry transcription gives Thomas Duff Whitson as her father but that could just be Ancestry!
I wrote down the details of Barbara junior's death at the archives hoping it would give her father but the space for both parents was left blank. She died in 19896 27th March in Edinburgh, her usual address was 2 West Newington Place gardens. The odd thing was that the death certificate gave the witness as her 'son' Jo Whitson of the same address.
BTW you are quite right, the death was registered by her grandfather, he wasn't a witness.
This is looking more complicated by the hour
Alison

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that Barbara was single when she died in 1986 and so the son is another bit of the mystery

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Think AsH62 rfers to this on the 1901 census............anc version

Name Johann Whitson
Age 12
Estimated birth year abt 1889
Relationship Grandaughter (Granddaughter)
Father's name Thomas Duff Whitson
Where born Penicuik, Edinburghshire

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just had another look at the 1901 census, the Ancestry transcription gives Thomas Duff Whitson as her father but that could just be Ancestry!
Yes, it is Ancestry making unwarranted assumptions. They have a habit of doing that. Never, ever, trust anything you find on Ancestry (or any similar web site) unless it is an image of an original document.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I wrote down the details of Barbara junior's death at the archives hoping it would give her father but the space for both parents was left blank. She died in 19896 27th March in Edinburgh, her usual address was 2 West Newington Place gardens. The odd thing was that the death certificate gave the witness as her 'son' Jo Whitson of the same address.

I should have added that Barbara was single when she died in 1986 and so the son is another bit of the mystery
Not really - probably another illegitimate birth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
True and the closer we get to the current date the more cautious I am about upsetting people. It is just the frustration of Johana disappearing completely and my idiocy in spending precious days at the archives following the wrong gender!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Barbara, jnr, on the 1911 census?

add - a quick search doesn't find her. Could she and Johanna (variations) bee in same place?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Good point, no I haven't but I will have a look now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 February 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Barbara, jnr, on the 1911 census?

add - a quick search doesn't find her. Could she and Johanna (variations) be in same place?

Just added this
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***