Author Topic: Looking for Polish ancesters (Sharkey)  (Read 902 times)

Offline Alex Sharkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Polish ancesters (Sharkey)
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for what might be my Polish ancesters.

My great-great-grandfather, Morris Sharkey possibly came to England in 1892 with a Betsey (wife) and Sarah Sharkey (daughter). I am assuming Sharkey is the english given name (I know it could be irish but I've not found any record of that so far) but on the records I've found on Ancestry his (and his daughters) assumed birth is from Warsaw, Mazowiekie Poland, Russian Sub.

The polish options on Ancestry are limited and I'm a bit rubbish searching them, bearing in mind that both Morris and Sharkey are probably translated names can anyone help me. I know they docked at Scotland and he often went over to the USA.

Thanks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Polish ancesters (Sharkey)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jozef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Member of Lubus Genealogical Society
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Do you know their Polish surname? Without this there is no chance to help you.
Genealogy, history, sport, rock music.

Offline edev1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 20 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just reading some of these posts and I would be so interested to discuss further.

My name is Emma and my Dad, Bryan, is a decendant of Abraham Sharkey, the son of Kitty Sharkey and Benjamin Sharkey's daughter Selina. Selina was evacuated in the war and never returned to Kitty and Benjamin, so my Dad has no connections and very little details about his grandparents or anyone beyond. He also only found out he was Jewish in later life and would love the opportunity to find out more.

I wondered if you'd be interested in having a chat about all of this and sharing anything you might have found with us?

Thanks!
Emma

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
EMMA: Sadly you do not seem to have had any response from Alex Sharkey.
If you make a couple more posts on Rootschat you will then be able to send Alex a private message, which may bear better fruit for you.
Good luck.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.