Author Topic: Lookup request - baptism at St Mary's  (Read 850 times)

Offline goodfellow01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup request - baptism at St Mary's
« on: Saturday 24 February 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a record of the baptism of Catherina Morrell, 7 Nov 1883 at St Mary's RC, Clayton Street Newcastle. Her parents are listed as Ric. Morrell and Catherinae Donay. However, I believe the mother's surname should be Dowey. I'm in Canada, so going to the Tyne & Wear archives is not an option! Can anyone help with the original image?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request - baptism at St Mary's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:28 GMT (UK) »
You can use the GRO website to confirm her mmn.  Lookup the birth reg on freebmd then use that info here

www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

If you have ever ordered certs from the GRO you will have created a login/password which you use

If not - registration is free

It’s more than likely a transcription error on the baptism entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline goodfellow01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have the GRO entry, I was just looking to confirm the church register to corroborate. This is a particularly troublesome family who changed surnames frequently!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I am at work for the next few days but if you can wait til the back end of next week I will go to the Archives for you and check.  Is this okay?

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline goodfellow01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I am at work for the next few days but if you can wait til the back end of next week I will go to the Archives for you and check.  Is this okay?

Best Wishes :)
That's very generous, thank you. Are you allowed to take a picture of the entry?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
 I will look this record up week for you at the end of this week and let you know what is recorded.  :) I think you could contact archives and send payment and ask the staff to take a photo for you.  Not sure about cost but I could enquire for you when I arrive there.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the baptism record.  Catherine was recorded as having been born on 7 July 1883 and baptised on 7 November 1883 at St Mary, RC in Newcastle.

This record is on microfilm number 1793.

The writing is light and Mother's maiden name is probably open to interpretation but looks more like Donay than Dowey.  However, if you had not given possible names I would have interpreted this possibly as Douay.  Sorry, I can not give a definite answer about the surname but I think it is all down to interpretation of the way the surname is written.

No God father.  God Mother: Maria Anna Ca ? y.  (Surname unclear but Mary Ann Ca ? y in plain English)

I have asked the staff how much they would charge you to send an image.  Since this would be a straightforward look up as you can provide them with all the relevant information - they would only charge you £7.00 and you can pay on-line.  The usual cost of look ups is a standard minimum charge of £30 an hour.

I hope this is of help. :)

Offline goodfellow01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
That’s a great help and thanks so much for doing that for me. I’ll get in touch with the archives.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome!  I am happy to have been of help. :)