Author Topic: Thomas Richard HUNTLY or HUNTLEY 1853 to 1911  (Read 510 times)

Offline davlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Richard HUNTLY or HUNTLEY 1853 to 1911
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Why did Thomas have a guardian?

Born Port Fairy (Belfast) Vic. Birth is not registered. Info from transcript of family Bible. He is my GG Uncle.

In the will of his father (John Lockyer Huntly) he was the guardian of James Hunt and Arthur Patrick Huntly. He died at Hay, NSW on 31/07/1911. My GG father (his brother) George Huntly was living in that area at the time.

The death cert gives no information as to why he needed a guardian. Asthma 15 yrs, heart failure 1 week.

Thomas and George shared a grave at Hay Cemetery.

Huntly, sheil, williams, pollard, imrie, collins, mcdaniel, gilberg

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Richard HUNTLY or HUNTLEY 1853 to 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

I’m a tad confused by the information you’ve given.

Is it Thomas who died in 1911?

I’ve read the will and I think that if I understand your post that Thomas Richard must be of a different mother if he was 15 in 1911, as the other births for John and Ellen started in 1854.

Would he possibly have a guardian due to his young age at time of father’s death in 1908?

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 18 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome :D

On that NSW death rego,  with Asthma 15 years .... heart failure 1 week ... how old was the deceased ?

If not yet 21 years of age and without a responsible parent present then someone else would  need to accept responsibility for organising the medico's attendence on the Asthmatic.  A family member/friend ie a guardian ... would take up that role ...

If the deceased was  21 or older but unable to make decisions then similar to the minor situation a guardian (often an informal voluntary position) would step in to assist with decisions.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 18 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Ah JM, I read it as him being aged 15 years.  ;D

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 18 05:42 GMT (UK) »
The mother Ellen died 1901 aged 70.

Jamjar

Offline davlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 18 05:43 GMT (UK) »
He was 58 when he died. His death certificate says he had asthma for 15 years.

He is the 2nd child of John Lockyer and Ellen. There are a few unregistered early births even the marriage of John and Ellen. I was lucky enough to be at MacArthur in 2014 and the historical society gave me the transcript of the family bible and it has his birth on it. He isn't on the Port Fairy Baptism records either but then neither is my GG father George.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 18 06:00 GMT (UK) »
Agh .. so his Asthma likely incapacitated him ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline davlen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 February 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks Jamjar and majm

Thomas would have been 54 when his father died in 1907.

I had hoped his death cert would have provided a conclusive answer. But no!

I initially thought asthma would be the answer myself.  I can understand if he had bad asthma all his life. It would be difficult to hold down a job back then, or even have a complete education with time away.  Maybe he did have asthma all his life and the death cert is incorrect. How could that happen   ;D

But to have him a guardian, incapable of tending to his own affairs?? Mystery.

Hoping someone in RootsChat world just happened to have spoken to someone ........

Thanks
Davlen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 18 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Living with Asthma and with only the 1890s - "cures" and treatments .... If severe .....  it can be fatal even in this decade...

JM