Author Topic: James Wilson Raphoe  (Read 966 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Wilson Raphoe
« on: Sunday 25 February 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
        Can anyone help me with information on the James Wilson that had a daughter Sarah that married Thomas Cather in Raphoe in 1838. Records indicate that he was Presbyterian.
       Thomas Cather was a whitesmith/ blacksmith and lived on the Diamond in Raphoe.
  I am trying to establish where the James Wilson came from and did he have another daughter Mary / Ann
 I don't believe that this James Wilson was connected to the long established Wilson families at Tops and the legal firm of Wilsons in Raphoe.
 Any help would be appreciated.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson Raphoe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
To elaborate on my post.
   I and another cousin are getting familyfinder dna links to families with this Sarah Wilson -Thomas Cather marriage.
   Our Gt Grandmother was Mary/ann Wilson she married Samuel Taylor in Aird Billy Parish Antrim in about 1829.
   She died in Glasgow aged about 80 in 1887. In one of the Scottish census she has given born Antrim and on her death certificate her parents are given as James Wilson, farmer and Mary Stewart .
   What I am trying to establish is whether the James Wilson father of Sarah Wilson in 1838 is the same person as the James Wilson married to Mary Stewart , that is, that Sarah Wilson and my Mary/ann Wilson b abt 1807 would be sisters.
   The only information that I can think of that might prove this is that 1. there are baptisms for both Sarah and Mary/Ann in Raphoe The indication was that Sarah was Presbyterian.
    2. any other references to this James Wilson in Raphoe , did he marry Mary Stewart there?
       Or was he an itinerent who had come to Raphoe from elsewhere  Mary/Ann has indicated that she was born in Antrim.  Perhaps Sarah might also have been an itinerant coming to Raphoe for work.
    Sorry that I have made this so complicated
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar