Author Topic: DNA results are back!  (Read 12142 times)

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results are back!
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Just picking up on those replies which put forward the theory that if they open their tree to DNA matches, no one will bother contacting them. I have given up contacting people with locked trees as the few I have tried contacting either don't reply or show no inclination to help work out where the connection is.

I am steadily working my way through contacting matches which give enough of a tree to help me work out sideways and where possible backwards to see if there is a possible connection. I am also contacting closer matches without trees in case they have done enough research to help work out how we match. Some reply and some don't but they are generally more forthcoming than those with locked trees.

You don't have to put a full tree on with your precious photos etc. You can also just have a tree visible to DNA matches. I only have a rudimentary tree on Ancestry but it should be enough for people to see names. We are all entitled to our different approaches and I respect that but I don't think curling up like a poked hedgehog gives you the best value for money from your DNA test.

Oh, and you may wish to check your settings to make sure they allow you to receive messages from contacts. Mine were set to not receive messages and it took me a few days to realise this.

Very interesting thread though and great to read different perspectives.

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Re query about wishing Ancestry would notify us about the new matches, if you select the "new" button near the top of the screen on the page showing matches then the new matches will show up at the top of the page.

Your Ancestry DNA home page gives you the total number of fourth cousin or closer matches and so you can see at a glance if any new ones have arrived, then go to your matches page and then select the 'new' option.

Hope this helps.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
but do remember that once you have clicked on a match, Ancestry's software will "empty" the blue button when you leave that match. So, if you wish to keep the match as "new" for further consideration later, you need to click the blue button and turn it grey and then click it again to turn it back to blue.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
You can also highlight a match for further consideration by selecting the star beside the match. Mind you, you have to then remember why you put a star there.

There is a notes section when you open a match - I haven't tried this yet but it may be a good way of noting whether you have contacted the match or any bright thoughts you may have had.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
It's a great shame ancestry don't have a semi-private setting for trees.  I have no problems with dna matches seeing my tree but don't want to have it available for every name collector under the sun.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
here is a typical match

:-X :-\

so many have NO TREES
or a PRIVATE tree.. and then they have either 4 people in it or 24,000... so it is a little bit silly - basically its an elaborate way of looking at the HINTS we are given on the search pages..

I am plodding on and changing addresses  so they read the ACTUAL AREA but this is not being altered as yet by Ancestry on the Map page.

I KNOW NOW  it was a good waste of money....
The system will not bring me anything- new until there are a lot more people taking the test and or adding trees ....

I already have worked my tree so darned hard as to find as many 2nd 3rd and 4th cousins as I can, without possibles...  7 generations on nearly all sides... and so much certificated or proven in some way.   I have stretched all lines to the limit.. I own Scotlands people for Certs and stuff..
I didn't need this ... DNA showing what it has -  it just seems to be a. n. other way of searching.  With NOT enough positives.
Why did I do the test? 
Well because I am a Niave fool, that didnt read all the wonderful topics that said it was not what I was looking for.
I had hoped it would PROVE more for me..  and maybe find the couple or so Missing DADS   that are an important part of my tree.
But NOPE  - cos it depends on somebody else tracing that exact same line  or a very close line...

I wont give up.. and will check back  -  and finish altering the addresses.

And when I suddenly find Freds Dad .. will let you all know.. :)

xin

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Xinia,

it doesn't claim it to be a match with "your" Sarah. It is simply saying that this is a person in your match's tree that shares the same name as someone in your tree. I agree that most of these are useless, but then so much of what we do, searches, visits to record offices and disappointing certificates from the GRO, turn out to be just as useless. It is what it is. It's certainly not the GRO's fault.

I have found half a dozen people through Ancestry's DNA matches that I would never have found conventionally. I have great hopes for the future.

Two more 4th to 6th cousins were added to my match list overnight. I know both of the branches of my tree where our progenitors are located. I haven't identified an individual; they may be before any surviving paper record or perhaps a record is there but is yet to be digitised.

I try to contact lots of people and I reckon about 33% of them respond of whom about half show much enthusiasm for a dialogue. I'll take that. 16% is enough of a workload with which to be working.

Keep digging. There is a nugget in there.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I will dig  for more and yes

it says HINTS not MATCHES

so

will proceed.

inanely / insanely :)

xin

my example pic.. the names and places did not match! were similar but did not match

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I am going ... honestly

:)

I have just ..... deleted one of the proferred matches.. eeek...

Well it was a difficult decision.. she had ..................... 3 people in her tree
and it was so hard to make my mind up that it was not worthy of any further time..

it does say I can change my mind later.

xin   I may not sleep now worrying.

:-X :-X :-X ::) :-\ :o

sorry   its time for the naughty corner again... havent been there for a while..