Author Topic: Another Latin marriage record, 1635  (Read 422 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Another Latin marriage record, 1635
« on: Monday 26 February 18 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Yet another one from me, sorry, but it's getting easier now and hopefully this will be the last one from me for a while!

John Hart gent. of Ringmer m. Alice Longley, s., Ringmer, 15 June 1635 (Framfield) – Deany S. Malling SRS 6.
(img 2432). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1C7-CT9?i=2431&cat=1112952 BT: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT69-TSX?i=839&cat=604182 (top left)

This time I can see the date, and it seems to be another case of a puellam, but can someone help with deciphering some of the other words?

There's a word that looks a bit like William or Mill...? And her name there looks a bit like Alision.  ???

There's no card in the index for the church register of this marriage - I assume that this is the licence only? And what exactly is it saying about Framfield?

Anything useful that can be interpreted will be appreciated.

Offline StaceyHarmer

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another Latin marriage record, 1635
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes, this is the grant of a marriage licence to Joquin (?I'm not entirely certain about the first name) Millard, the vicar of the parish church of Framfield, for the marriage (at Framfield) of John Hart of Ringmer and Alice [Aliciam, which is the Latin version of Alice] Longley of the same parish. The rest of the entry states that they have taken an oath that they do not know of any impediment to the marriage etc.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Roughly ...

Hart and Longley
15 June 1635
On this day Master Anthony Huggett, clerk, Master of Arts and Surrogate etc., granted a licence to Master John Millard, clerk, Perpetual Vicar of the church of Framfield, to solemnize a marriage in that same church between John Hart of Ringmer aforesaid and Alice* Longley of the same place, a girl; he was sworn beforehand that to his knowledge there was nothing by reason of impediment, consanguinity, affinity or pre-contract etc. that might obstruct or prevent the marriage between them. The same John, a gentleman, and (...)** were bound         in Cli ***

* written Aliciam = Alice
** the verb is plural (obligantur = were bound), and a gap was left for the name of another bondsman, but not entered.
*** the amount of the bond (£100) is cut off (bottom right)

ADDED - in connection with the earlier query, it could be that these records all use puella simply to mean 'spinster' - I haven't had time to check any others.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Looking further in the register, I now think it's probably Willard (not Millard).

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Ah, great - thanks again, Bookbox and Stacey.

Unfortunately it looks as if the Framfield BT records are only available from 1662, but I suppose I can assume that they got married there, either same day or soon afterwards.

I have just skimmed through a few of the other records on the same image, and think that I spotted puella twice, but not on all of them. I will scrutinise them and others more closely later or tomorrow to test your theory. It's certainly possible (although the other one did prove to be 18 or younger, so perhaps it's a designation for under-21s?).