Author Topic: Who is this lady?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this lady?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Comment from sparrett - where did you get the idea of niece / uncle marriage?  I haven't made any reference to such a union.  What I am trying to achieve is to identify the bride, the only possible connection to William Goldman is, as I originally said -her photo was behind his photo in the same picture frame.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
A friend discovered this photo behind another photo and is wondering who she is.  Was she the bride of her uncle, William Goldman or is it coincidence that the photo is in the same frame?  William Goldman was a Pilot Officer and was listed as missing over the North Sea on the 15 Nov 1941 along with the rest of the crew on the aircraft he was in.

I think the confusion relates to this -: You ask if the woman was the bride of William Goldman.
William Goldman was your friend's uncle.  :)

I originally read it the same way as Sparrett did -: "was she the bride of her uncle William Goldman" - it sounds like you are asking if the girl was the bride of her own uncle ... :)

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 07:12 GMT (UK) »
There is an obit here with some family information which your friend probably already has - no mention at all of a wife.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11994361

The family death notice for William here
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11994203

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Comment from sparrett - where did you get the idea of niece / uncle marriage?  I haven't made any reference to such a union.  What I am trying to achieve is to identify the bride, the only possible connection to William Goldman is, as I originally said -her photo was behind his photo in the same picture frame.

Perhaps you did not note that I amended my original post with an apology.
Something in the phrasing was a little ambiguous to me, hence the comment.

Misunderstandings do happen from time to time.
No need to worry.
I do understand your friend's uncle was William GOLDMAN.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Probably not his sister Gwen according to this description of her wedding dress, 1933
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11722380

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 07:44 GMT (UK) »
HI 
Could  it be a photo of  his  mother? 

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking again at the quality of the image, it looks like a print rather than a photo which would be glossy, I think it is most likely that it is a stock photo that came with the frame when purchased.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Would they have had stock photos back in those days  ... 30s,40s, even 50s depending on the age of the frame of course?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I have a sweetheart brooch from WW1 with a stock photo of a lady inside which was identified as such by Jim. Also, we don't know when the Uncle's photo was put in the frame.
Just a suggestion not a fact.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU