Author Topic: GEORGE MOORE,born 1817 in West Hanningfield Essex,living in Bishops Stortford.  (Read 2429 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE MOORE,born 1817 in West Hanningfield Essex,living in Bishops Stortford.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
yes 19th nov 1837 was 3rd reading of Banns, image available if you have sub to SEAX, but I can't find a marriage for them in west Hanningfield. If both were otp, only one set of Banns in WH and the marriage should have been there too.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGE MOORE,born 1817 in West Hanningfield Essex,living in Bishops Stortford.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:23 GMT (UK) »
George Moore was baptised at W H on 14 Jan 1817 s/o of George Moore (labourer) and his wife Sarah late S Collings (spinster) abode WH.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
The will of George Moore of WH husbandman 1842, mentions sons George, William and Joseph and wife Sarah Maria. So some leads to the rest of the family.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Can't find baptism for Eliza / Elizabeth Forster at Thaxted, but several Elizabeths in the right time period.
For Martha in Brentwood, there are Martha Porter d/o William and Martha born 22 May 1811, bapt 30 Jun 1811 and Martha Ann Perry d/o John William and Martha Ann born 29 Oct 1812, bapt 29 Nov 1812. (searched 1809 - 1814).

I am doubtful as to whether Eliza Forster and Elizabeth Moore (1851 census) are the same person. It would be good to find George in 1841. His father George snr wrote his will on 2 Sept 1841 and died in 1842, so he his wife and all three children should be alive then. He refers to the three boys as his three children, so I doubt there are any daughters. George jnr is mentioned first when he lists the three names so I suspect he is the oldest.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 March 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Just found them,, George Moore 45 ag lab, Sarah 45 and George 24 ag lab, living Moon ? Lane, WH. No sign of a wife with George jnr. I think the marriage did not take place. Also no sign of the brothers Joseph and William, likely to be old enough to have left home.

Offline gracol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 March 18 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks LizzieL for all your interesting replies,I'm getting to grips with them.
I do not have a marriage cert for George and Eliza,I assumed that both Ancestry and FamilySearch recording a marriage, that the marriage actually took place,that is so interesting that,that may not be the case.Could you please clarify "if otp only one set of Banns"?.The marriage did not take place then.
My tree is on Ancestry-Green Family Tree-have investigated the Moores,some marrying Greens.George Moores will of 1842,of which I have a copy,as you say mentions his brothers William and Joseph ,they both died in Chelmsford Workhouse.
I did notice the 1841 census for West Hanningfield which shows George Moore,but not Eliza.The 1841 census for Thaxted shows an Eliza Moore after a Henry Moore,I think her age must be a mistake looking at the childrens ages!,unless she was a vistor.
All in all for George Moore the records seem correct for his relocation to Bishops Stortford,the mystery of his two marriages remaining.
Thanks again LizzyL.
Green family ,West Hanningfield and Writtle,Essex, 1700-1900,plus other Essex areas and later dates.Collins,Dobbs,Terry,Betts,Hucknall etc,Nottinghamshire.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 March 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
The banns record says George and\Eliza were poth of the parish of West Hanningfield, so there would not be any Banns read in any other parish and they should be married in WH. anns have an expiry date (3 months I think). There is no marriage for George and Eliza in WH after the Banns. I don'y believe the marriage happened.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 March 18 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I do not have a marriage cert for George and Eliza,I assumed that both Ancestry and FamilySearch recording a marriage, that the marriage actually took place,that is so interesting that,that may not be the case.

Ancestry have a collection called 'England Select' which have a 'FHL Film Number' showing on the transcript.  FindMyPast's equivalent is 'England Marriages' (also baptisms & burials) which at the bottom of the transcripts in very light writing states 'Index (c) IRI. Used by permission of FamilySearch Intl'

These are the collections that you are possibly viewing and assuming are correct as they are on both sites, they are both extracted from familysearch.  I do not know whether these records include the records submitted by members as part of their trees or are just records that have been extracted from parish registers.   As is true with any transcript it is always subject to error.

I have examples of transcribed 'extracted' familysearch records that have been allocated to another parish on the same film. If you have a query it is always worth checking the film number with the FHL library catalogue to see which parishes are covered on that film number and in the case of marriages whether it also includes banns.  https://www.familysearch.org/catalog/search
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 March 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I have found many cases when Ancestry etc give a Banns date (usually 3rd reading) as a Marriage date. And on several occasions Banns without a later marriage found. I even have one where a couple had their Banns read, did not marry immediately, then had them read again sometime later as the first set had expired.

As I said in reply #9 the date given by Ancestry is Banns date, I have the image from the Banns book.
If you have a sub to SEAX, the Banns book is at the end of the set of marriage records which end at 1837, even though date is after 1st July 1837. There are no Marriages at WH between 22 Nov 1837 (the couple whose banns were read just before George and Eliza) and 6 jan 1838. Since marriage records must be signed by the bride, groom and witnesses they cannot be recorded on scraps of paper and copied to register book later (and therefore run the risk of being omitted).
Other info:  George senior appointed  the vicar Thomas Brookesby as his executor, rather than his wife Sarah or George jnr who was 24 at the time he made his will. This sounds as if the vicar was a family friend or he didn't think Sarah or George jnr were up to the job. George snr's father Arthur Moore witnessed a lot of marriages in the early 1800's so may have been a parish official.