Author Topic: Need Help Dating a Photograph of Mary Jane.  (Read 814 times)

Offline Araboy21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help Dating a Photograph of Mary Jane.
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 01:14 GMT (UK) »
The back of the photo says only "Mary Jane." The girl appears to be 5 or 6 maybe? She is wearing a velvet dress. The photograph looks more sepia than gray.
Any help narrowing down the date would be much appreciated.
My family is from western Pennsylvania and it is likely that this photo was taken there. It's possible that it was taken in Scotland or Ireland, too, but I don't think so.
Thank you!

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Dating a Photograph of Mary Jane.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Large fake rocks was an 1880s thing; emphasising the shoulders was an 1890s thing. My guess - I stress "guess" - would be very early 1890s. Anyway, this will bring it up the board for the experts to see.
If you have the original could you post a scan of the back, including the edges (the card itself can be as important a clue as the picture).
By the way, lovely photo, Araboy.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Araboy21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the response and feedback! Here are the full front and back of the photo. I don't recall what the original size of the photo and mount. I know that is often helpful to determining the date it was created. I scanned a lot of different photos and returned the originals to my father.
The ink on the back appears to be sepia though it could just be that it faded to that from black. It was clearly not a modern pen either.
I have been assuming that one of the subjects (likely the older girl) is Mary Jane but it could be the baby or, possibly, the person to whom the photo was given.
I have a Mary Jane McCleary in my tree that was born in 1863 and died at some point before 1880. It sounds like this photo might not be old enough to have been her...

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Araboy and welcome to RootsChat....It looks to be Edwardian to me but children are not easy to date. The baby appears to be secured to the rock and may be being held from behind by a ghost mother. It wouldn't be perched in such a precarious position without support.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Araboy,  just a thought.. could the writing on the back be the names of both girls, Mary & Jane?
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Araboy21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Because Mary Jane is so common, that had never occurred to me before. I'll look into it and see if that helps me at all. Thanks for the idea!

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I think the 'rock' might in fact be mother disguised/ under a 'rock coloured and shaped material' and the baby is sitting on Mum's knee. I think I can see the arm and leg of the chair she is sitting on between her and the young girl!

Wiggy.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Here are some examples of photographer creating the illusion that the child is self supporting " Ghost Mothers"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155681/Old-portraits-children-creepy-ghostmothers-background-far-mums-good-photo.html

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Great examples there Carol, and I bet the OP's photo is one too!

I was basically agreeing with you in the last post!      ;D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.