Author Topic: Alfie Martin  (Read 961 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Alfie Martin
« on: Tuesday 27 February 18 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is the right thread for this posting. It concerns two men from the Boston area.
I was told by my late mother in law who though from Doncaster had strong Boston connections about a deserter whose family lived in cottage on London Road north (towards Boston) of Tytton Lane West, and who laid low for many years and only came out in dark hours.
The other was a man named Alfie Martin who lived on Wyberton West Road, in the block on the South Forty Foot Bank between the junction of Park Road and what became the Lovelace shellfish factory.
Alfie who I once saw when going to work around 4am for a special job, lived with his mother who was a contemporary and friend of my grandmother, born 1870-1880. She died sometime in the 1950s.
The story as I have it was that Alfie was a WW1 veteran who was completely traumatised to the extent that when he came home he could never work, and had a very limited life style, and only appeared in the Wyberton West Road area in the early hours. He was well known to all the local railway shift workers, but beyond that seems to have had little contact. I would like to know what became of him, and any further imformation on the alleged deserter from Tytton Lane.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie Martin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
There are several Alfred Martin deaths in Lincolnshire, including this one
 JunQ 1955  Martin    Alfred    74yrs    Doncaster    2b   398

In so far as the family stories and other details/conformation, unless others knew about/ heard them and they were written down ( which is what I do with any family stories I was told, date, who told me) then maybe a local history group has other details
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has 386 Alfred Martin Medal cards.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1939 register? There's a family of MARTINs listed (just putting in Wyberton West Road) including an Alfred H. He's born 1903,though.

Maureen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »

In so far as the family stories and other details/conformation, unless others knew about/ heard them and they were written down ( which is what I do with any family stories I was told, date, who told me) then maybe a local history group has other details
Though the date fits fairly well, I don't think that was him. I saw him one early morning when going to work early. I started work in July 1956 so unless I saw a ghost!! More importantly he was a complete recluse who never left Wyberton West Road Doncaster next to impossible.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1939 register? There's a family of MARTINs listed (just putting in Wyberton West Road) including an Alfred H. He's born 1903,though.

Maureen
Thanks and will do 1911 census.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 March 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »

Though the date fits fairly well, I don't think that was him. I saw him one early morning when going to work early. I started work in July 1956 so unless I saw a ghost!! More importantly he was a complete recluse who never left Wyberton West Road Doncaster next to impossible.

So check https://www.freebmd.org.uk and/or http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/births-marriages-deaths-nationality/record-search-for-burials-or-cremation
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend