Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 7130 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget I am still scouring the net etc to see if I can pick something up...anything...please lol

It's so maddening our ancestors shouldn't have been so careless moving house, adding/subtracting from ages and marring people with common names!!
Gaynor

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
In the 1915 Valuation Roll for Bayhead Street there's no sign of a Henderson's Building. Lots of Yards, Backhouses, etc.

Best I can see is:
5 Bayhead Street - a house tenanted by a Mrs Peggy Macleod. In 1905, it's vacant.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
The elusive Alexander like you amd your grandfather,  I may never find him ::) What a shame it was my last hope to pin him down in the1911 census.

Can I ask you another favour if it's not too much trouble, would you mind looking for 8 Pringles Court Cromwell Street Stornaway. That's where Dolly was born, although she won't be on it as not born till the November of same year. Her mother was Henrietta and her grandparents were Donald & Henrietta (Effie)(Mackay). I was just wondering why she was born there and who lived there in 1911
Thanks Pam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I can't search by address on the 1911 Census in Scotland.  Where was Henrietta in 1911?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
She should have been at that address Henrietta  (aka Effie) born 1895 gave birth at that address so I presume she was with her parents (being unmarried) Donald & Effie MacKay. I might be wrong though.
Regards Pam

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 March 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Sorry I've been away but was in hospital on Tuesday and back home now. I have paid for some credits for the 1911 census so I think I will just have to go through all of the Alexanders to see if any are on Bayhead Street.
Kind Regrds

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I have just been looking for Alexander. Trawling through all Alexander's in 1911 census. Expensive option I know but no alternative way. On my fifth try I found an Alexander Macleod at 51 Bayhead Street aged 18. Henrietta MacKay was 16 when she had her baby so he seems about the right age(!)

I was wondering if anyone had a map showing houses/buildings etc on an OS Map so I could see the relationship to Henderson's Garage to 51 Bayhead Street. On the census there are a lot of different families all giving 51 Bayhead as their address so could this point to a building that was multi tenanted

Grateful for any help/info

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Pam

Hope you are better after your hospital visit.

Here's one but no numbering - will see if there's a large scale one:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/76344158#zoom=6&lat=1841&lon=9711&layers=BT

Gadget

Added - the 25 ins one is here -

http://maps.nls.uk/view/82901583#zoom=5&lat=3641&lon=6399&layers=BT

it's the largest OS map  online but still no numbering  :-\

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.

Foot a lot better now pain free (I hope it lasts) My cuboid bone keeps popping out at physio tomorrow to make it stay where it should be!!

hanks also for those two links I'm going to check them out. I have also asked if the library can check the trade irectory etc to see if Henderson's Gargage eve gave a No. i.e. 5

It is so frustrating that I know his name and where he was in 1911 but just cannot pin him down. I was wondering if the registrar put No 5 instead of 51that would make sense. There were several families there in 1911 so obviously had to be a large building even if they lived in just a room each. I might just ask if anybody is related to Alexander who lived in Bayhead Street
or failing that come to Stornaway and ask every Macleod to take a DNA test lol