Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 3033 times)

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

I found them while you were having physio - hope all went well. The 1861 that I've put up in the post before your's is interesting - lots of children.

They seem to have married maybe in the 1840s (John = 18 in 1861) so the marraige might not be on SP. Also, they were Free Church.

Let me know if you want any more help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes it went fine thanks. Cuboid bone keeps slipping out of place partial dislocation. Have got some exercises to make muscles stronger but if it doesn't improve then he said would need small op to cut muscle and remove small piece to tighten them up. He said it's like a elastic band that's gone baggy. Will do exercises lol!

Gosh that's a lot of children poor woman, mind you I suppose on those cold nights they didn't have much else to do ;)

I found Donald & Christiana's marriage in 1855 but they haven't put their parent's names on the certificate how frustrating is that!! :'(

Still trying to find Murdo & Mary's marriage. Hope I have better luck there.

Pam

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
No Marriage either statutory or Parish records for Murdo & Mary so drawn a blank there. Maybe it's end of the line for this family.

Mind you in a lot better position than I was last night so can't complain.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Well, if you use the naming conventions, Murdo's parents should be John and Margaret/Peggy and Mary's parents should be Donald and Isabella but they don't always follow strictly.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you followed Donald and Christiana through the censuses to get children in birth order?

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I didn't know anything about the naming tradition etc except sometimes the granddaughter is called after her grandfather as is the case with Donaldina hence Donald.

I have Donald & Christiana in the 1871 & 1881 but that is far as I have got at the moment. Just finished dinner so will have a further look now.
Pam

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link

https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/traditional-scottish-naming-patterns-2115646700.html

Also, if there were too many girls (!) it was quite common to add an -ina or -ia to a male family name.

I've know Murdina, Donaldina and Hectoria, among others.

Gadget

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »
 ::) No wonder they are so many Donalds/Murdos/Henriettas etc I just wish I had been looking for a Thomas Jones or Angela Smith  lol

I wonder if Alexander (Donaldina's Father) ever went on to get married and if he did , did they ever know he had a daughter. She may have step brothers & sisters out there. Now that would be interesting. I might see if Jemima ever married etc to see if there are any researchers doing this name.

Pam

Just taped Benidorm. I found out 2 weeks ago that we are related to the script writer Litten through our Brookes family wonder if he'll give me a small part in it!!

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
No jokes about Jones - I've got a lot of those  ;D

If you need any more help just ask and I would like to here any more findings too.

Gadget