Author Topic: Macleod of Stornaway  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Macleod of Stornaway
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

That foot problem sounds nasty - poor you, Hope the physio will help.

There were two town plans but again no street numbering. Did you notice any mention of Henderson's Garage on the census - page back and forward? Though it could cost a lot for that kind of search  :-\

It's such a pity that SP haven't allowed the 1911 to be indexed and put up on the cheaper/free sites as the others are.

I wonder if Comhairle nan Eilean Siar/Stornoway/Western Isles Council might have some old listings or plans:

https://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/site-pages/contact-us/

It might be worth a try.

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I never thought of going forwards/backwards etc maybe a good idea as there are loads of Alexanders although weeded them out with age Doing 16-20 age group only at the moment.

I have to find him on Bayhead Street as if he is anywhere else I won't be able to know whether or not he is the right one.

Never thought about Council plans etc,

I also might see if Free Church of Scotland has any baptism records that's if she was baptised being illegitimate.

Here goes!

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Well Gadget just made a surprising discovery. When I was looking at 51 Bayhead Street 1911 census my husband was rushing me as we had to go to telephone house about our internet device. Just brought it up again to go back & forwards like you suggested. Just counting how many families giving that as their address and guess what!! Donald Henderson is the first family listed!! He is described as a retired Coach House (?) Could this be the owner etc of Henderson's Garage and if so are those families living at the back of this Coach House!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »

It looks as if it could well be the right place  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look - it's Retired Coach Hirer -

Now I'd say a Coach Hirer  would be a good shoe-in for the Henderson of Henerson's Builings/Garage

:D

Added -snip

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Must go to Spec=Savers (our local opticians) I was sooo excited didn't look properly. Also No 52 is the Post Office so might make it more easy to spot the buildings as usually churches/PO etc are marked on maps.

I just wished I had done this years ago as I could have told our Granma who her father was.

In your opinion do you think it could be him? or do you thin I am clutching at straws.

Just going to check maps again. :)

Pam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble finding the family in 1901, so investigating the family.

Jemima was born 1898. Father Alexander and mother Christina MS Macrae. Their son Donald was the informant. Living at Keith Street then.

Wondering who Donaldina was named for- someone called Donald but which family? Do you have any in Ettie's family?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Had another look at the valuations rolls for 1915 - the ones I looked at early on in the thread.

51 Bayhead Street is owned by Ken D Henderson, motor, etc, hirer. I assume he's Donald Henderson's son. He also occupies one of the tenement flats - as in the 1911, though the Macleods aren't there then. 

What I think is that each tenement flat/set of rooms was numbered 1-n. So 51 was also known as Henderson's Buildings and the Macleods were at number 5.  No proof but wonder what you think of it as an explanation.

Gadget

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry our internet has been off again ::) They've given me a new router today but isband hasn't done it yet be glad when he does.

Wow You've been busy. It seems to fit I cannot think of any other explanation as every line of inquiry regarding Henderson's buildings draws a blank. Maybe Alexander put 5 Henderson's buildings because he lived in the fifth one lol

I think I shall taken as given as everything seems to add up especially after reading your last post.
Kind Regard Pam
PS Do you live in Lewis?