Author Topic: Identify Location?  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Location?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I think it might be a very poor version of the Spanish arms ... the 2nd and 3rd quarters are clearly impaled (i.e. in half down the middle) and look very like those of Aragon and Navarro - the latter has distinctive chains in a pattern which is reproduced here. But, yes, I agree, there are elements that are missing.

Going back to the Masonic theme and bearing in mind that Freemasons were persecuted in Spain at that time I wonder if it was an "ex-patriot" Lodge in the UK - this would fit with the comment about it being unlikely to be somewhere abroad.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trish1908

• RootsChat Extra
  • I am what they made me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the crest again - although 'crudely' drawn, the stick figures look to represent a King and Queen - they both wear crowns befitting a King and Queen
Bone - Leeds/ Tempsford, Bedfordshire
Overment - Norfolk
Skillings - Norfolk
Woodhouse - Kingston upon Hull
Fell - East Yorks
Hulse - Repton, Derbyshire
Cooper - Chapel en le Frith

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 March 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that there are words only at the top - to me it looks like the whole border is made up of words...
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the crest again - although 'crudely' drawn, the stick figures look to represent a King and Queen - they both wear crowns befitting a King and Queen

The pillars of Hercules have crown like toppings  :-\
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 March 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I looked at the photo this morning and thought Freemasons; a Club, or a Society. Just because you are not a Member, a family Member or Colleague could invite you.

It is his Leather Slippers, as though he is either a regular, or staying for a short while? The heels are too low to be for outdoor use in the street. They look like the old Leather soled, Leather upper slippers, the type once made by Church's.

-----------

By this time Stonemasons were not always Freemasons, but I should imagine something similar had took its place, like Regional Trade Unions, Societies, Associations and Guilds, for Stonemasons and I see the Modern Records Centre at the University of Warwick (nearer Coventry than Warwick), holds some of these records and Record Offices.

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/stonemason-records-occupations/126/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operative_Society_of_Masons,_Quarrymen_and_Allied_Trades_of_England_and_Wales

Wall Symbol

But it might be nothing to do with a Stonemason occupation.

The wall symbol has a Shield covering the bird, but no Supporters either side of the Shield. The two underneath the Shield, possibly representing a pair of Black Crowned Skeletons acting like two columns holding the Shield up.

Someone sitting in, so you can rule out a studio pose.

Mark

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 March 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
This one has me intrigued!  He may not have been a Mason, but what about some other fraternal organisation.  My great-grandfather was in the RAOB - Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes - which was a working-class men's version of the Masons.  AKA the Rat-A***d Old Buggers according to my grandad.  I don't think this looks anything like the RAOB, but perhaps someone out there knows of other similar organisations that it could be? 
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline dillybert

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 March 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Could you possibly do a higher res scan of the coat of arms?

Working out the writing could be our best clue.
SMITH - Brewood/Coven, Staffs; FORSTER, Staffs; BIGGS - Lidlington, Beds; WILLCOCKS, Devon/South London; ALLEN - IOW/SouthLondon

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 April 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
I can tell you there is nothing Masonic or Knights Templar about the picture.  Look at this comparison  to see that the Coat of Arms is of the Catholic Monarchs since 1492
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Spain
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 04 April 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
It has a feel of a Scene from a film.. 

xin