Author Topic: Jeanette Ella Bell Courtney and T. Graham Crawford  (Read 1110 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Jeanette Ella Bell Courtney and T. Graham Crawford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have run into trouble over requests for incidents (index cards copies) which occurred in 1940, where some were killed or injured (some accidentally).

Because, some may have been married, or had girlfriends or spouses in 1940, who may be still alive now, the Department holding the information has written to me saying to comply with my FOI request is a breach of an EU Regulation.

Here in the UK, we are still in Europe currently.

If a bereaved family publishes their death notice publicly in a newspaper, that may be a different matter, putting a link to it?

But to discuss 1990 death dates on here and not a link to an official site (where the enquirer can search them for themselves), is far too recent.

Mark

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 18:59 GMT (UK) »

Some of these death dates 1990 and 2001 isn't that a breach of Rootschat rules?

The moderating team hope that chatters are sensitive and tactful when posting information about a recent bereavement.

Personally I don't think 2001 is that recent now, we're 16 1/2 years away from the event and information is out in the public domain.

If it had been 16 days or 16 weeks or even within the last 6 months, then that's another matter.

However, if you are, as was explained, researching a distant line or where the family had fractured some years back, you may not know of recent events.

We have a more clearly defined 'no living people' policy and therefore ask people to be considerate with their posts.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawnsh.  We do try to be respectful and very often pass messages via the pm system as we come forward with information especially if that relates to living people.    The death information which was given criticism on this thread (1990 was linked in 2 replies), it is in the public domain. 

Hi Punch,

Think RJ137 put the icing on the cake for you with the obituary information and pleased that this has helped sort out your question.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. Yes, the obituary was a very good source of information for the christian names of the husbands. I am always so appreciative of the rootschat family.