Author Topic: German baptisim help needed  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
German baptisim help needed
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm hoping I might get a little help deciphering and understanding my ancestors baptisim.

I hope I can attach the baptisim record so it can be seen.  My ancestor is Heinrich Julius Rau his is the bottom baptisim on the attached record.  I was just wondering if the list of male and female names on the far right columns if these are witnesses?

If this is the case then one of them looks to be a relative of the mother Johanne Christiane Klemke  - could be Johann David (something) Klemke?  On some of the other children's baptisim I'm finding many Shultz surnames so I'm starting to suspect this might be either Johanne or Gothilf's family perhaps their mother's (maiden name) as I do seem to have DNA matches to some Shultz family members that also came to Australia as did Heinrich and his brother Carl.  I've been unable to go back any further with their parents and Heinrich goes by his middle name Julius once in Australia but I'm hoping maybe by looking at the witnesses if thats what they are I might be able to figure something out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Blessings
Deb

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German baptisim help needed
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:02 GMT (UK) »
yes they are the witnesses:

1. Brauer (Brewer) - Gottfried Schulz
2. Winzer (Wine maker)- Joh Christoph Menke
3. Schullehrer (Teacher) August Mittelstadt
4. Reimers Frau - Caroline Kirchirner
5. Försters Frau - Wilhelmine Fiedler
6. Mäthes Frau - Ana Sophie Brauer

The entry you thought to be Klemke is Menke. If you look at the first letter in the name below "Mittelstadt" you will see the resemblance. A "K" - see first letter in the surname of Caroline Kirchner

Dave

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dave I appreciate that gosh there's more information there with occupations for the men.  My understanding is these early ancestors coming to Australia was to grow grapes. 

Hard to trace when you can't read the language :-)

This is another sibling with what looks like Shultz - does it say what his occupation is? I can see Menke again here too.

Thanks again
Blessings
Deb

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean the witnesses ? Which number

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I may have that one wrong that could belong to the next family - I will take a look at rhe other siblings looks like Christian Schulz but I think that one is next family down from Lina Rau.

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Christian Schulz is the next one down

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dave I have a couple more records which may or may not help my search if I can find a way to pop them up here (may need my husband to resize on his pc for me) would you mind taking a look?  I realise I probably can't go much for further with this side of the family but wanted to try.

According to my uncle who actually did go to Germany some years ago now, he looked in the phone book for members of the Belicke family and there were not many so he rung he each one and did find one that he believed was related.  That side of the family tree came to Australia in the 1800's.  Heinrich Julius Rau's daughter Emma married Carl Wilhelm Belicke and where he was the names of the places  have all changed now but this is what it was then this is Carl's birth info
1/09/1850 • Franzthal, Now( Gleboczek, Przynotecko, Gorzowskie. ) Friedeberg, Brandenberg, Netzbruch, Prussia. now Poland

From my uncles phone call and contact from another Belicke it seems that Carl may have been married before he came to Australia with children and that it's possible his first wife died before he could get them out here. It's all a bit vague but I've found 3 records for Belicke's in this very area I think 2 marriages and a death.  And if I could get someone to have a quick look it might be connect to Carl.  Long shot maybe?

Let me know if you would mind looking and if so I can get my husband to resize them for me to pop up here.  They are via Ancestry.

Blessings
Deb

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I´ll have  look at them
Dave