Author Topic: Armour family  (Read 8297 times)

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armour family
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 27 May 21 21:24 BST (UK) »
Kintyre Families (by Angus Martin) indicates that a James Armour from Ayrshire went to Kintyre c.1665.  Not sure where that information came from but maybe somehow he is related to Jean Armour of the original post?

How popular of a name was Armour in Ayrshire?

To give some idea, there are 326 entries under Armour in Ayrshire in the 1841 census according to Scotland's People. Contrast that with 555 Howie, 250 Burns, 166 Donald, 290 Lambie, 755 Paterson 563 Gemmell/Gemmill, 163 Tod/Todd and 2 693 Smith.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 27 May 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information about ARMOUR family numbers compared to other surnames  .

It does help to know

Does that include AMOUR AMOR spellings ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 27 May 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ps macharskin

John.ARMOUR b 1665 & jean mckinnie seem to have several children baptised with same names I presumed first ones died
 They.had Janets and a.Jean.!

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 27 May 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information about ARMOUR family numbers compared to other surnames  .

It does help to know

Does that include AMOUR AMOR spellings ?

Doing a search on A*mo*r gives the exact same number of 326 for Ayrshire, so I assume at least in Ayrshire the spelling was consistently "Armour"

Actually even doing a search on the whole of Scotland "Armour" to "A*mo*r" just increases the total from 950 to 963.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline trishken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 September 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm also a descendant of the Armour family from Ayrshire around the same time (via John Armour b. 1680 in Ayrshire and husband of Elizabeth Gault b. 1682 Ayrshire but parents born in Ireland), but unfortunately it looks lime my Armour ancestors were already in Ayrshire when Robert Armour (Jean Armour Burns'  paternal grandfather b. 1709 in Aghaderg, Down, Ireland) came to Ayrshire from Ireland, so I'm unlikely to be a descendant of his or Jean Armour Burns. 

I'm assuming since Robert Armour came specifically to Ayrshire it's because he had family there, so I'm guessing there might be family link higher up the tree.  Does anyone have any ancestry data higher than Robert Armour b. 1709?

Also slightly unrelated question - I'm trying to see if the Armour family is associated with a clan but I'm not having any luck on the typical clan sites - does anyone have any information on that?

Thank you!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 September 21 09:20 BST (UK) »
Also slightly unrelated question - I'm trying to see if the Armour family is associated with a clan but I'm not having any luck on the typical clan sites - does anyone have any information on that?
Forget about clans unless and until you find a definite link to a descendant of a clan. It is a complete fantasy that every Scot belongs, or ever belonged, to a clan.

The clans were a social feature of the Highlands, and Armour is not a clan or a Highland surname. There could possibly have been Armours who were members of a clan, but if the Brigadoon industry does not have a 'If-your-name-is-Armour-you-belong-to-clan-X' anywhere then you are descended from one of the majority of Lowland Scots who have no clink to any clan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 October 21 14:25 BST (UK) »

We also have DNA matches to many well established Canadian
From Alexander ARMOUR 1814-1886 from Argyll m Mary MILLOY 9 children mostly born Canada

Does anyone have these people on their trees ?

I'll try and remember to post back about these names if I come across them.  I'm slowly putting together an Armour tree for myself.

I've come across the names Alexander Armour and Mary Milloy in my tree however I haven't researched them yet.  I'm curious about Alexander's parents William Armour and Margaret McNiven.  William and Margaret have some children in ScotlandsPeople that each have two entries where one is crossed out for each of the children.  They are Donald (b. 1822, crossed out) / Donald (b. 1826) and Hugh (b. 1831) / Hugh (b. 1832, crossed out).  Can anyone explain why?
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 October 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
We also have DNA matches to many well established Canadian
From Alexander ARMOUR 1814-1886 from Argyll m Mary MILLOY 9 children mostly born Canada

Hi Brigidmac,

Here's the Find A Grave link for the family: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/76646969/john-milloy-armour
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 October 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
THANKS IMFAMILY  that will come in handy when i work out how we connect