Author Topic: Mary Beattie from Creetown  (Read 3505 times)

Offline JenkinsFamilyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Beattie from Creetown
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for any and all information regarding my Great Grandmother Mary Cochrane (nee Beattie)
She was born in Creetown in 1901, All I know is that her mother got involved with a Gypsy and somehow Mary was orphaned at 12 years old. She traveled with the spiritualist church and ended up in Glasgow, she believed she was a medium.
In Glasgow Mary wed James Cochrane who worked in a foundry and later became a bookie. They had 6 children but only 3 girls survived. Elizabeth Cochrane(Born1930), Jane/Jean Cochrane(Born 1932), and Catherine Cochrane(Born 1935).
However, James wasn't faithful and so Mary took her 2 daughters to Toronto, Canada and stayed with her oldest daughter Elizabeth who had married George Hanson and was currently living there.
James had his girlfriend Minnie Dodds move in with him the immediately after his family was gone and they wed a few years later.
I'm hopeful someone will be able to shed some light on Mary Beattie's family as well as James Cochrane if at all possible.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Beattie from Creetown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 March 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat Do you have the names of Mary and James parents if not you can register with Scotlands |People website which is the official site for Scottish records and you will be able to download their wedding entry which will give you their age and names of their parents including mothers maiden name

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 18 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

I think you are going to have a tricky search for details in the early stages until you are able to firm things up.

I cannot easily see a birth entry for a Mary Beattie in Kirkmabreck Kircudbrightshire around the time you mention (for a birth in Creetown).

Also, I can't see a marriage entry for a Mary Beattie and a James Cochrane, nor one for a James Cochrane to a xxx Dodds. A marriage for James to Minnie Dodds would indicate there had been a divorce?

Have you got any more details with names/years that could help you here? Have you got any of the birth certs for the children of Mary and James to let you confirm their marriage date  (may not be accurate but would help here).

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Any possibility that Mary's maiden name could have been Rennie rather than Beattie?

Just reading this here www.curiousfox.com/vill100/Lanarkshire27850_2.html

My Grandmother was Mary Rennie born in Creetown around 1900. The story I got was that her mother became with child due to an involvment with a gypsy and well, Mary was on her own at 12 in Glasgow. She used to attend the Spooks (spiritualist Church) and claimed to be a medium. I believe her..she was my grandmother. She Married James Cochrane, year unknown.

There is a marriage in the Anderston area of Glasgow in 1917 for a James McInnes Cochran and a Mary Forgie Rennie which is a possibility?

I can't see a Mary Rennie birth though in Kirkmabreck around 1901 either though... Maybe other surnames are also part of this  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 18 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Not the 1917 marriage - that Mary was aged 28!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenkinsFamilyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 18 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of the quick replies, it truly is very much appreciated.
MonicaL, I don't believe that is them. That James McInnes Cochran Was a house painter who died in 1946.
My James lived at Crail st until at least 1962 and married Minnie Dodds in about 1956.
That other information you got was actually from my father. I've asked him about it several times and he says Mary's last name was definitely Beattie. 1948 was the year Mary took her daughters and left for Canada.
I'll keep pressing family members for more information. Her daughter Catherine is still alive and works as a pastor at a spiritualist church in Brantford, Ontario.

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a Minnie Dodds Cochrane in 1972
aged 51

623/ 872
Glasgow, Park Circus
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Think this is the marriage 16 April 1926  at 148,Crail Street Camlachie Glasgow
James Cochrane age 21 ( steel moulder ) address as above father Alexander Cochrane mother
Jeanie Cochrane maiden name Beattie

Spouse Mary Rennie Longridge age 25 address 12,Greer st Glasgow (sewing machinist )
Mother Elizabeth Longridge deceased ( dresmaker)
Witnesses Alexander Cochrane Isabel Wright

This would tie in with the name mentioned on Monica's post

Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say Welcome to Rootschat

There is a birth for a  Mary Rennie Longridge 1901 kirkmabreck which would tie in with her age on marriage

Rosie