Author Topic: MITCHELL family - Bishop Wearmouth Sunderland  (Read 3034 times)

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MITCHELL family - Bishop Wearmouth Sunderland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes definitely written by George Mitchell b 4.6.1813
He refers to his father James being a well known and respected jeweller
George was apprenticed at the age of 13 to the Watch and clock making business 8 High Street East of Messrs Gowlands

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 March 18 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at St.Marys RC Church, Bishopwearmouth.

George Mitchel, son of James Mitchel and Ellenor his wife (late Collier) was born on the fourth and baptized on the fifteenth of June....by me Peter Wilcock. Sponsor - Ellenor Mitchel Junr.

Proves family were Catholic. First baptisms at St.Marys Catholic Church were in 1809, a previous double baptism at Sunderland Holy Trinity (C of E) :

Thos Mitchell, born 2 May 1808, baptized 30 May 1808, 4th son of James Mitchell, Jeweller, Native of N'castle, by his wife Elenor Collin, Native of same place.
Jane Mitchell, born 24 Nov 1806, baptized 30 May 1808, 3rd dau of same parents.

The death of a James Mitchell in Sunderland Dec qtr 1839 gives an age of 79 on the GRO website, so a birth around 1760 if its the right James and the age is correct.

Alan

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
The James Mitchell burial 20 Oct 1839, has age 79, abode Maudes Court. There is also a burial of an Eleanor Mitchell 27 April 1828, aged 54, abode Maudes Court, so born around 1774.

In 1841 census there is a John Mitchell, Goldsmith, age 35, with wife and 2 daughters, living in Maudes Court so I expect that is another son of James, presumably taking over his business.

Pigots Directory 1834 under Sunderland Jewellers and Silversmiths has :
James Mitchell, Maudes Court, High Street.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wolfie
What I have corresponds
James Mitchell b 1769 d 1839
m (1) Alice Boys in 1788 d?
m (2) Eleanor Collier (nee Cole) m. 1797 1777 b-1828 -d
Issue Robert Mitchell b.1796; Eleanor Jefferson b 1797; James b 1805 d1834;John b 1806 d 1877; Margaret b 1800 d 1829 Jane Watson ? Thomas b 1808 d 1828; George b 4.6.1813

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
There is burial of a Robert Mitchell, Jeweller, aged 82, Sunderland Holy Trinity, 30 June 1797.

I wonder if that is James father. Right age and occupation, same as James. All James sons took up work in Jewellery / Goldsmith / Watchmaking. James oldest son Robert can be traced through census as a Watchmaker.

There is a Robert Mitchell who might fit the bill in the List of rebels who took part in the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, dated 7th May 1746.

Robert Mitchell, Journeyman Goldsmith, abode Edinburgh. Carried arms in the rebel army. Whereabouts now - not known.

The Incorporation of Goldsmiths of Edinburgh website has further info on this Robert Mitchell. "We speculate that he may be the same Robert Mitchell who had been apprenticed to Alexander Forbes, Goldsmith in Aberdeen in 1734/5".

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi - whereabouts unknown would certainly fit with a bribe!  Further investigation of the papers has a Robert Mitchell b 1708 d 1796 aged 88 years.  Mary was his wife

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
If of any interest I have a Sarah Mitchell b 1837( daughter of George Mitchell b 1813 d 1877)
She married James Todd on 3.2.1858 at St Mary's Church Bridge St.  Issue: Mary Louisa Jane b 15.1.1859;Henry Frederick James Mitchell b 9.11.1864;Edith Blanche b. 24.4.1866 d 10.5.1867;Edith Blanche b. 26.5.1868 d.26.5.1868; Arthur Ernest b 24.8.1871 d 24.8.1871; Henry Fred James Mitchell Todd
The devoted mother of the above died 16.2.1871 aged 34 years, the last child surviving his mother by 6 months
James Todd d 27.12.1904

Offline ROSIE1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 December 18 20:51 GMT (UK) »
HI,
I have been reading your posts regarding George Mitchell, my side of the family have been looking for the document for years, not sure if it is the same document, it was in my fathers possession ,but was lent to whom we used to call "the Mitchell Brothers" and never returned, it documented how the family fled from the battle of Culloden  and settled in the north east. We also had a cross and a sword that supposedly came from the battle.
George Mitchell was my great great grandfather, the family also changed there name after the battle.
After posting on ancestry.com I am led to believe the name in Skye was O,Donnell, but i will look up the post again to clarify. The big family rumour was that we are related to Flora McDonald.
I would love to hear from you we have to be related, see if we can clear up some of family mystery

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 December 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
HI,
I have been reading your posts regarding George Mitchell, my side of the family have been looking for the document for years, not sure if it is the same document, it was in my fathers possession ,but was lent to whom we used to call "the Mitchell Brothers" and never returned, it documented how the family fled from the battle of Culloden  and settled in the north east. We also had a cross and a sword that supposedly came from the battle.
George Mitchell was my great great grandfather, the family also changed there name after the battle.
After posting on ancestry.com I am led to believe the name in Skye was O,Donnell, but i will look up the post again to clarify. The big family rumour was that we are related to Flora McDonald.
I would love to hear from you we have to be related, see if we can clear up some of family mystery