Author Topic: Army census 1881  (Read 1574 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army census 1881
« on: Friday 02 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where would people in the Army in 1881 be enumerated. I did look at the links given above and did find this

Information on the enumeration of institutions, the army, navy and merchant vessels can be found on the GENDOCS website for 1841-1901. 

from one link. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=428055.0

I did get the Gendocs site to open but could not get anything from their link for census information.

What I am hoping is the Army overseas just like navy and merchant ships are enumerated into their own section. Is this so? If it is I am trying to find where a soldier in Belfast in 1881 (from the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment) would be enumerated. I am aware that there was a separate Irish census in 1881 but I assume they would not be recorded in thee, and anyway those papers were destroyed a long time ago.

Thank you.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Army census 1881
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I thought that overseas military do not appear on UK census until 1911  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 18 16:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Census was the first one to have a full enumeration carried out of the British Army serving overseas, including details of wives and families. In earlier censuses the military authorities only provided the Census Office  with the numbers of officers, other ranks, wives and children, either by place or by regiment. Those serving at home have always been enumerated
From 1861 the Royal Navy were issued with special naval schedules, both in home waters and abroad.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, looks like that is another avenue that closes.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.