Author Topic: Adelaide Emily Halls b 1885 ***completed thank you***  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Adelaide Emily Halls b 1885 ***completed thank you***
« on: Friday 02 March 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me to find Adelaide Emily Halls in the 1891 or 1901 census please?

Her birth was registered in Cirencester in the December quarter of 1885, mother's surname Nicholson.

In 1908 she married Harold Albert Curd in Greenwich. I have her in the 1911 census, which gives her place of birth as Sapperton, Gloucestershire, which fits because Sapperton is in the Cirencester registration district.

However all my efforts to find her in 1891 or 1901 have failed so far.

There are a John William and James Frederick Halls, born 1888 and 1891 in Yorkshire, mother Nicholson, but they are a different family and I have them John in the 1891 and James in 1901 with parents Frederick and Mary Jane, whose marriage I haven't found.

There's also a Mabel Halls, mother Nicholson, registered in Potterspury in 1889, and I can't find her in 1891 or 1901 unless she is the one who turns up as Enid M Hall in Potterspury with parents Arthur and Hannah but no sister Adelaide.

I suspect a case of seriously creative spelling in indexes/transcriptions. Can anyone do better than I have so far?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Emily Halls b 1885
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
1901  :-\
RG13 /527 f103 p3

Living with parents in Deptford
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
RG12 /495 f5 p4  also Deptford with family
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Is this her Adelaide E Halls age5 born Sapperton

Father Alfred Halls age 29
Mother Betsy M Halls 29
Mabel Halls  2

Address 3 High Street

St Paul Deptford London

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie, yes, that's her. But either there is somethng wrong in the index I am using, or the web site is having a particularly unhelpful wobbly, because I still can't find Adelaide in it!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Still at the same address 1901 Census if this is the family you are looking for ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie. I have both censuses now. Mabel is indexed, but Adelaide isn't. I have gone through it several times and she is definitely not in the index I am using. Weird! Many thanks for your swift help.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie, yes, that's her. But either there is somethng wrong in the index I am using, or the web site is having a particularly unhelpful wobbly, because I still can't find Adelaide in it!

Try looking for Mabel Halls on www.familysearch.org 1891 Census

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Emily Halls b 1885 ***completed thank you***
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 March 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I see that Adelaide too is indexed on Family Search. Still can't find her in the index on the site I am using to get at the English census. I could understand her being missed off once by mistake, but twice is bizarre.

Anyway, I have the information I need to progress with this project, thanks to you.