Author Topic: Two photographs to date  (Read 2739 times)

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two photographs to date
« on: Friday 02 March 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a better idea of the dates both of these photographs were taken. I'm trying to see if they are potentially the same women and dates would be very helpful.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two photographs to date
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 March 18 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm thinking that the first photo might be  1915ish*. Not sure of the wedding photo - maybe a bit later.

Gadget

* the older woman's dress and the child's button boots might suggest earlier though  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 March 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Not sure of the dates, but the men in the (double?) wedding photo look like brothers, if that's a clue?

Based on looks, the women look similar in the photos, but I'm doubtful they're the same.

:)

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I have some hints for the wedding photo based on the fact that they're getting married and I have an idea of what family this is from.

The first generation was married twice in Dec 1881 and Nov 1893. I don't think these are quite that old. The wife would be age 24 and 36 respectively.

The second generation was married twice also, in Nov 1903 and June 1909. The wife would be age 18 and 24 respectively.

The third generation was married between 1927-1934. The wife would be around ages 21-28.

The second generation had two sisters that were married two years apart in July 1901 and Nov 1903. It's possible that maybe the first had their official wedding ceremony at a later date and this photo was taken at a joint ceremony. Other than that, I can't find any evidence of two members of the same family that were married around the same time. I suppose they may not be family.

The first child in each case was born shortly after, meaning the family photo likely came soon after one of the generations was married.

Additionally, here's a photo of one of the women in the second generation taken sometime in the 60s-70s. Does anyone think that her face matches any of the women in the two original photos?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
If that's the family, I think it would be most likely the 1909 marriage but they're puzzling me  :-\

Gadget

Added -I don't think the first two photos are of the same women
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 18 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I can't see any likeness between the people in the wedding photo and the people in the big photo.

Are you saying they are the same women?   :-\ :-\

I do wonder if the woman in the last photo could be the one on the right in the first.

Wouldn't swear to it in a court of law though.    ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Wiggy and I were wondering about the wedding photo. Where was it taken?

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 March 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
The large family photo and the double-wedding photo may not strictly be of the same people but I do believe they are somehow the same family. Story goes that the older woman of generation two (pictured last) gave the wedding photo to someone in this family. The owner thought that the two women being married were her daughters (third generation) but it appears to be much too old for that.

The picture I just shared from the 60s-70s is certainly a woman of the second generation - her name was also given to me along with the large family photo so I believe she is one of those women. For a while I believed that she was the older one in the back of the family photo, but I now think that the photo is a generation older than I though it was.

The photos were likely taken in Newfoundland.

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I think there is too much time lapse for the coloured photo to be of the older woman in the first photo.  Much more likely to be the youngest- I think!

I think the wedding photo has a distinct European look to it - could be very wrong though.  ;)

Wiggy 
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.