Author Topic: Dvr Samuel Barratt RFA as a Funeral Gun Carriage Lead Driver - where? when?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Dvr Samuel Barratt RFA as a Funeral Gun Carriage Lead Driver - where? when?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 December 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just coming in on this, I looked at the picture in the opening post and the first thing to come to my mind is that it looks surprisingly like a very early Doncaster railway station.

I could be wrong but it does look like it.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 December 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Photograph from the internet, full acknowledgement to owner in watermark.

Check the likeness of the lamp post in the distance on opening post photograph  :-\

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline George Clegg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 December 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Great spot!!  Doncaster would sort of make sense.

Dr Dude, I think you're right but sadly the document is long gone

Offline George Clegg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 December 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Coincidentally my cousin, and grandson of the lead driver Samuel George Barratt, lives in Sheffield, not a million miles from Doncaster.  He is now on the case to see if the Donny archives might throw up something.

Many thanks to Frank and everyone else who has shown interest in this thread and any further suggestions gratefully accepted!

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 December 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I've run out of time to work on this today, but figured I'd post what I found. I've been slowly trying to extract what text was transferred there from the other document. It looks like it could be written in French or mention a location in France. I've highlighted the portions so far extracted in this JPEG.

Sorry I was unable to finish right now, but time permitting I will get back to it. Hope it helps somewhat.

Dr. Dude
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline George Clegg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Crikey Dr Dude that really is a good spot!  I did wonder if the location could be France (Amiens area perhaps) in mid to late 1918.  (See his service record in original post).  It has been pointed out that the horses aren't in best condition and I'd expect the horses on a UK based gun carriage team to be in better nick and perhaps their condition points to an operational team which have been subject to a more rigorous deployment regime.  Perhaps this was taken when he was with C Battery 290 (CCXC) Brigade Royal Field Artillery who were assigned to 58th (2/1st London) Division.  I have their war diary and have plotted their movements in the period April to Oct in and around Amiens.  If you look at his arm I think a Lance Bombardier Stripe can just be seen although I accept it may be a trick of the light.  Thanks for your time and application Dr Dude, much appreciated.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
The station is a great find.
A funeral like this wouldn't have taken place in France no matter who it was.
The buildings are very un-French like. French buildings are generally quite distinct.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/