Author Topic: Census lookup 1901 Greenock  (Read 1731 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census lookup 1901 Greenock
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Catherine McPherson Tait is almost complete.

I've never found a birth certificate, but she is the illegitimate child of Violet McLachlan and Archibald McPherson and would appear to have been raised by Archibald's mother, Catherine/Kitty.  She is at Catherine snr's home in the 1841 and 1851 census records, and with her husband/children in the other census records.  In 1891, she is living with her husband James at 26 Crescent Street.

I've not found her in 1901 when she would be 61, though I've found her husband James living alone at 54 Drumfrochar Road .   In the 1911 census she is at the home of her daughter Ann Tait Blyth at 7 Crescent Street, Greenock and her name is given as Kate Tate (James died 1903).

The 1901 census would complete the picture (apart from the birth record, or course).

McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookup 1901 Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her
Catherine Tait age 54 b Greenock abt 1847 ...visitor at the home of
Alexander Kidd 41 b Carriden West Lothian ..grocer
Violet Kidd  35 birth place down as same place but in census 1891 born Argyleshire
Jessie Kidd 12,Thomas Kidd 11

Jessie Blythe age 11 b Greenock visitor

Rosie

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 March 18 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, you're a treasure.  Jessie Blyth would be her grand-daughter (my grandma's sister).  I've no idea who the Kidds are, but I'll dig into that now.  Violet is also a family name.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie.  I thought I'd give you an update.  Violet Jackson Kidd, whose home Catherine is visiting on Census night 1901, is the grand-daughter of Catherine's mother, in fact the daughter of Catherine's step-sister.  What's interesting about that is that Catherine was illegitimate and seems to have been raised by her paternal grandmother, so I had sometimes wondered if she had had any relationship with her mother.  The fact that she is visiting the grand-daughter of a step-sister who was born to another husband before Catherine certainly suggests that her other remained an influence in her life.

One of my aunts was named Violet Jackso, so the name continued down the line.

Regards

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 March 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi was just going to reply Violet Jackson born 17Man 1863 Salen  Argyll
Father David Jackson
Mother Jessie Morrison

1881 Census address Station House Linlithgow West Lothian
David Jackson 45 station Master
Jessie Jackson 48 b Argyllshire
Violet Jackson 18 b Argyllshire
Violet McIntyre 69 b Argyllshire..Mother in Law   ( she is with them on the1871 census )

Rosie

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Only a few days ago, I found the death for Violet McLachlan McIntyre (Catherine McPherson's mother) and the address was Station House, Linlithgow.  I did wonder about the connection - you' ve just given me another answer.

Thanks again.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 18 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say that I hadn't found a census for Violet McLachlan McIntyre since the original one in 1841. Looks like I'll be using up a few more SP credits.  Violet is my ggg grandmother.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census transcribed as McIntire on An........y
Address 29,Clyde Place Tradeston Glasgow Given
Duncan McIntire age 52 born Argyllshire (Clyde Pilot ?)
Violet McIntyre age 50 ...
Margaret Campbell 14 b Ardrossan niece
Alex McDonald 23 b Bute lodger

Rosie

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 March 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Rosie.  It's now morning in Aus, so I'll spend some time later today on SP downloading the censuses etc.

Sheena