Author Topic: disappearing siblings - Gibsons  (Read 780 times)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
disappearing siblings - Gibsons
« on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Morning all

I have frustratingly been trying to follow the lives of the siblings of an ancestor to try to find more about his life and upbringing. so far i realise most went into service at a young age and two of his sisters had illegitimate children. however I am struggling to find anything further about the following despite looking on the regular subscription sites. Any ideas anyone of where to look next?

1. Frances Gibson 1855 - ? (Daughter of John Gibson and Sarah Hopkinson)born sutton on trent notts, baptised 22 April 1855. 1861 living in SoT with parents and siblings thomas, john, jane, henry, george. 1871 working as nurse maid (with sister hannah) in Little Belvoir, Wartnaby, Leicestershire, England. No trace here after. I followed marriages of Joseph Eels Raper and charles Parnham, but following census show the wrong birth dates and places - so she didn't marry then. I can find no trace of a death around that time. Any ideas??

2. Jane Gibson 1851 - ? Jane Gibson was born on 'Born Steck day', 30th March 1851, the day the 1851 census was taken. She was the 7th child born to John Gibson and Sarah Hopkinson. On 14th Nov 1869, aged 18, Jane gave birth to an illigitimate child, Mary Jane Gibson. Mary Jane was brought up by her grandparents John and Sarah, along with John, the illegitimate son of her sister Hannah.

Jane left her parents home in Sutton on Trent after Mary Jane was born and worked as a servant for James Bennett Gayton. They lived at 53 Long Row West, St Marys Parish, Nottingham. It is probable they were living above the shoe shop where the family worked. Jane married Richard Watson in 1873 but no info from here - unable to trace anything of her or Richard from this date.

can anyone help? Many thanks in anticipation....

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: disappearing siblings - Gibsons
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Will have a look - but just a note that despite the curious “Born Steck Day” transcription, the 1851 census actually says that Jane was “Born this day”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
The 1881 census shows Richard Watson (30 b Grassthorpe Notts) as a widower with his parents in Ardsley, Yorks - also there is their grandson, possibly Richard’s son, Edward Watson, 5 b Sutton-on-Trent.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Birth reg of Edward Watson with mother’s maiden name Gibson, Sep qtr 1875 Southwell.

Death reg of Jane Watson aged 29, Dec qtr 1880 Southwell 7b 241.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 18 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Sutton on Trent- All Saints
marriage
12 Aug 1873 Richard Watson & Jane Gibson
 Baptisms
8 Feb 1874 Mary Jane dau Richard & Jane Gibson father a labourer.
8 Feb 1874 Sarah Ann   ditto
12 Sep 1875 Edward  ditto
 2 May 1880 John  father a boatman.
Burial
30 Sep 1880 Jane Watson aged 29
9 Sep 1880 John Watson 5 months
20 Dec 1874 Sarah Ann 10 months
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms Sutton on Trent
Parents John & Sarah Gibson father a labourer.
1 Feb 1846 John buried 21 Dec 1847 aged 2 years
3 Dec 1848 John
27 Apr 1851 Jane
17 Apr 1853 Henry
22 Apr 1855 Frances
5 Apr 1857 George
no baptism on the cd for Hannah at SoT
Baptism Newark
28 Feb 1842 Hannah dau  John & Sarah Gibson abode Newark father a labourer
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
wow - Thanks for all this so far. amazing new facts - so sad that Jane died so young, like so many of her siblings. My direct ancestor in John 1848. I shall apply for her death certificate.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 March 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I have not found anything, so far, for Frances. Looking for her under Fanny too.

Baptism West Retford
15 Dec 1839 Thomas son of John & Sarah Gibson abode W Retford father a labourer.

The John & Sarah Gibson who baptised Hannah in Newark are not your SoT couple as they continue to baptise children in 1844, 46, 49 and 51.

Ok found Hannah, not on the NFHS cd.
Name:   Hannah Gibson
Baptised   11 Feb 1844   
Sutton On Trent,Nottinghamshire
Father:   John Gibson
Mother:   Sarah
FHL Film Number:   504070, 504538

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 March 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Larkspur

thank you for the details about the baptism's. Interestingly Jane has one child out of wedlock, and then had her second just 5 months after marriage!!

Richard and Jane baptised the two children on the same day, but after Jane had died, Mary Jane did not live with Richard, suggesting she was not his biological daughter.

really appreciate all the help- shame I've no idea what happened to Frances.