Author Topic: GILES: Abingdon Parish Records  (Read 9623 times)

58holden

GILES: Abingdon Parish Records
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Has anyone got access to Abingdon parish records please. I need to find the death of an EMILY GILES I think the time frame is between 1891 - 1901. Sorry can not define better as having trouble finding her at all.

Cheers 58holden

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 05 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I have the transcript to 1900 of St Helens - the main church in Abingdon - but there is no burial for an Emily Giles in the time frame you suggest

Can you tell me anything more about her - date/place of birth wether married or single?

There is only one Emily Giles in the 1891 census index of Abingdon and she is aged 27 - is this the one?

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

58holden

Re: GILES: Abingdon Parish Records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
     It is a very long story this one, but here goes. My great grandfather, was a Walter Giles, he married for the second time to a Susannah Carter, they had my grampa.
I have the wedding certificate and it says he was a widower. And when Walter and Susannah married he had had a child called Rachael Emily. But I can not find a record of Walter's marriage before, all I have is family hearsay it was a girl called Emily, no real proof.
I do not know where to go from here, I am chasing my tail. I have got one wedding certificate but wrong one, Walters dad was wrong name.
Now when he married second time it was 1902, he was 35, I have found Rachael's birth I think but again not sure. So I think I had better just try and get certificate and go from there.
Cheers 58holden

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think I may have the answer for you I found Rachel E Giles aged 1 month in the 1891 census (wrongly indexed as Stimpson!) with her was her mother Rachel Giles aged 30 Married (no husband around) born in 1860 in Over Norton OXF, they were lodging in the house of a John Parker in Frilford (parish of Marcham) - which would be in the Abingdon registration district.

This would tie in well with a marriage in the June qtr 1890 Banbury Reg Dist of Walter Giles and - to one of the possibles Rachel Sarah Parker - Vol 3a page 1403

By 1901 Rachel E Giles (wrongly indexed as Welch) aged 10 is with her grandmother Elina?? Giles in Abingdon

- In both of the above cases although the indexing is wrong (I am working from the ancestry.co.uk site) when you look at the original the information is correct  :-\

I can't actually find the burial of Rachel Giles (goodness only knows what that is indexed under  ??? ) - but at least now you know that you are looking for a Rachel not an Emily.  I think Walter had a sister Emily and that may be where the confusion came from

Hope this helps anyway

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

58holden

« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 05 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie
  I think you may be right there, it is Rachael and not Emily because Walter did have sister Emily, actually mostly girls int eh family.
It is a shame the indexing was mixed up, but thankyou for your help. I will order a certificate now, strange I actually found that Rachael Parker one but did not do anything as was not sure about it.
Again thankyou Cheers 58holden

Offline J.Reynolds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, 58Holden.

I think I am related to the Emily Giles you are seeking information about. I believe her full name was Emily Annie Woods Giles and that she married John Richard Reynolds, who was my great grandfather. His son, John Allmond Reynolds was my grandfather (who married Amelia Wilcox). I am the son of Edna Reynolds - John Allmond's daughter. John Allmond Reynolds was born in 1880. Do these dates fit in with the Giles you are looking for? I haven't researched any of this in depth but I would be glad to hear if you have any information regarding my family tree.

Best wishes in your search.

My grandfather, incidentally, is buried in Sutton Courtenay. He died in 1945.

Sincerely,

J.Reynolds (username)

58holden

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can you tell me a bit more about your emily I am not sure if it the one that I have or not as of yet.

cheers 58holden

Offline J.Reynolds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 November 06 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.

The information I have is from my grandfather's death certificate. He was John Allmond Reynolds born 2nd Dec 1880 in Wallingford/died 19th. July 1945, buried Sutton Courtenay. One of about 11 children (so it would be just about possible for your Emily to have been his mother.) His father was John Richard Reynolds who married an Emily Annie Wood Reynolds (nee Giles). I assume the 'Wood' part of that name is her mother's preserved maiden name.

John Richard Reynolds owned a hotel in Wallingford. John Allmond (my grandfather) married Amelia Reynolds (nee Wilcox) in 1903 and my mother, Edna Reynolds was a child of that marriage. My mother often used to mention Culham and Abingdon and I believe she, or her father/grandfather, lived in one or both of these places.

I don't know much about the Giles side of the family. Could your Walter Giles have had a sister Emily? I understand, on the Reynolds side of the family, that we were distantly related to Sir Joshua Reynolds but I haven't been able to check that out.

I don't know whether any of this is useful or might give you a 'lead'. If it does, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Best wishes,

J.Reynolds (username)

58holden

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 November 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes Walter had a sister emily she was born around 1873 she was one of 8 children to Joseph Giles and elizabeth Tanner.
do you know when your Emily was born? and what siblings she had becasue mine came from cricklade wiltshire and then moved to Abingdon were I was born.

Any help to you?

cheers Nicola