Author Topic: John Smith born 1825 near Halton.  (Read 2870 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Smith born 1825 near Halton.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 March 18 03:00 GMT (UK) »
1841 Halton House
Sir J Dashwood K, 75
Rev J Dashwood Bart, 45
John Smith, 55, Bailiff, born Scotland

1841 Wendover Back Street (end of High Street)
Mary Green, 30, F.S. born Bucks
James Smith, 12
Elizabeth Smith, 10,
William Smith, 7
George Smith, 5

1851 High Street Wendover
William ?Croxford?, head, widower, cabinet maker, born Wendover
Louisa Green, niece, 33, housekeeper, born Wendover (note Mary Green with Smith children in 1841)
James illegible, nephew, 7, born Wendover
Henry ditto, nephew, 4, born Wendover
John Ford Smith, 70, married, lab. Pauper, born Scotland
George Smith, son of above, 14, errand boy, born Bucks Weston

Given that this John Smith has goes from Bailiff to labourer/pauper in ten years is interesting. Also of interest is his middle name shown as Ford in the 1851.

This makes this entry of interest......
1851 Stanley Street Manchester Lancs
John Smith, 60, commission agent, born Scotland
Sarah, wife, 46, born Cheshire
Benjamin, son, 9, born Salford
Thomas, son, 5, born Walkden Cheshire
Martha Harrop, sis/law, 31, born Cheshire

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 March 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again folk's your information has moved on our search more in a couple of day's than
we've been able to in many a year,I knew there was a Scottish connection as bagpipes always
make the hair's on the back of my neck stand up! As my brother is on Ancestry he's been trying
to follow up some of the children fromthe list supplied starting with James,it appear's he enlisted in
the 5th regiment of foot and after service ended up in Alnwick,it was the naming of his two children
that's convinced us of the definite connection William b1871 and George Vincent b1878,Vincent was
the name of John Jr's son and the middle name of my Grandfather Robert Vincent smith,so dicounting
the family we know Vincent must have come from the Smith/Ford ancestor's.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
1851 census in Wendover, seems the most likely for the 'Worlds End family'.  But the other 1851 census 'Commision Agent' throws a bit of a spanner in the works, as he seems to have the right job title of 'Factor'.

There is a burial in Wendover, taken from BucksFHS. St Mary's Wendover Transcripts CD.

Burial - 28 Sep 1855. John SMITH aged 75 of Wendover.

No other details, so gives a y.o.b. of c1780, +/-

The death cert would be the next step, if this is the correct John Smith senior.  Possibly districts of  Wycombe, Aylesbury or Amersham registered.   Age given at burial, may differ from age given at registration of death, depending on who gives the information to Clerk of the Church, or the registar.

George Smith(son), might be Hugh George Smith(baptised 1836), in the 1841 & 1851 census.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Once again many thank's Steve,I'm dubious about the Manchester John Smith but as you know
in this game anything's possible,the John Ford Smith in the 51 cencus to me seem's to be a much
more likely candidate however having the Ford as a middle name throws a spanner in the work's
of our bride,certainly she's Sarah but was her maiden name Ford pure coincidence and is the Green
family in need of furthur consideration? I feel there's more to discover.
Regard's Steve.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I'm with bucksboy in that the Manchester John Smith is certainly worth following to ensure he's not your guy, checking the marriage certificates of your own JS's siblings to see if they all say "factor", what addresses and witnesses are given is a good option. The JS in Manchester obviously remarried, finding him is 1841 (like a needle in a haystack) to rule him out is also a good option.

This may give some hint at the change of fortune for the JS bailiff......1849.....Bucks Herald....
"Halton - Sale at Halton - During this and the preceding week, the whole of the beautiful household furniture, plate and various effects of Sir John Dashwood King, Bart., of Halton House, have been bought to the hammer, but under what circumstances we are not in a position to state"

Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 March 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank's again Jo,so much to check from what you folk's have dug up my initial post was really
a long shot that's really paid off taking my direct Smith line back to the late 1780/90's and giving
me a new line with James' familly right back to North east England again,probably never know what
brought John F Smith jr to Newcastle way back in 1850 he was a draper all his life and died around
Regards Steve.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 March 18 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I'm with bucksboy in that the Manchester John Smith is certainly worth following to ensure he's not your guy, checking the marriage certificates of your own JS's siblings to see if they all say "factor", what addresses and witnesses are given is a good option. The JS in Manchester obviously remarried, finding him is 1841 (like a needle in a haystack) to rule him out is also a good option.

This may give some hint at the change of fortune for the JS bailiff......1849.....Bucks Herald....
"Halton - Sale at Halton - During this and the preceding week, the whole of the beautiful household furniture, plate and various effects of Sir John Dashwood King, Bart., of Halton House, have been bought to the hammer, but under what circumstances we are not in a position to state"

Sir John Dashwood-King, 4th Baronet (1765 – 22 October 1849).  His death may explain the sale.

Halton House was sold to Sir Francis Dashwood in 1720 and was then held in the Dashwood family for almost 150 years. (WIKI).
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline MSwainson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on John Smith, Esq born in 1800 Manchester, Lancashire, England. Married Mary Solloway b 1795 Barton, Lancashire, England.  I have their Son as Canon Henry Robert Smith.  1823-1896.  I have lots of history on his son but i can't get anywhere on his father. 

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 November 18 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on John Smith, Esq born in 1800 Manchester, Lancashire, England. Married Mary Solloway b 1795 Barton, Lancashire, England.  I have their Son as Canon Henry Robert Smith.  1823-1896.  I have lots of history on his son but i can't get anywhere on his father.
Hello Mswainston I would post this one in Lancashire county thread if you haven't already.