Author Topic: O'CONNOR FAMILY and TOOHEY FAMILY  (Read 5529 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'CONNOR FAMILY and TOOHEY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Back into the O'Connor family and trying to find a map which might have the townland Glenaster/Ardagh shown. Is Ardagh the village and Glenaster part of this village? I would like to put it into something equal to, or near our Australian suburbs in each state. Cannot seem  to get my head around this townland bit. Possibly the name  of the farm the family lived on? Any advice would be  appreciated.
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
https://www.logainm.ie/en/31637?s=Glenastar   the glen of the waterfall of (the) Dáir river 

https://www.logainm.ie/31637.aspx
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 September 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Back into the O'Connor family and trying to find a map which might have the townland Glenaster/Ardagh shown. Is Ardagh the village and Glenaster part of this village? I would like to put it into something equal to, or near our Australian suburbs in each state. Cannot seem  to get my head around this townland bit. Possibly the name  of the farm the family lived on? Any advice would be  appreciated.

It is nothing different than Oz.   It is simply like writing an address on a letter.

Glenaster
Ardagh
Co.Limerick
Ireland

would be equal to

Drummond street,
Tenterfield
NSW 2372
Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
There are different ways to write Irish places which can be confusing. For example,
1) townland + parish + county
2) sometimes you'll need to know the registration district (nearly always same as older Poor Law Unions)- for vital records (births, marriages, deaths for example)- use this site- http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/ (the PLU/registration district for Glenastar is Newcastle)
3) church records- both the Church of Ireland & Catholic churches use a parish system. COI, because it was the Established or State Church usually same as civil parishes but RC ones usually have different boundaries and names

In the case of Glenaster- Ardagh is the District Electoral Division (which you will probably only need for 1901 and 1911 census)
civil parish = Newcastle
https://www.townlands.ie/limerick/glenquin/newcastle/ardagh/glenastar/
The above link shows you the location & boundaries for the townland and the location of the village of Ardagh
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 September 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
If you use www.osi.ie (Ordnance Survey Ireland website) you can view maps LINK
On the home page click the button GEOHIVE

In the search box type GLENASTAR and there are a number of possibilities one of which is "Glenastar, Ardagh, Limerick"
Click on this option to see the location of your Glenastar on a map

There is also a dialogue box on the left; under BASE INFORMATION AND MAPPING you can decide what date map you would like to see. You need to click off as you go or they will all remain open as if they are layered.

Play with it and you will work it out!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 September 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Is Ardagh the village and Glenaster part of this village? I would like to put it into something equal to, or near our Australian suburbs in each state. Cannot seem  to get my head around this townland bit. Possibly the name  of the farm the family lived on? Any advice would be  appreciated.

I think the problem here is that because of the name, townland, it's natural to assume it's land associated with a town, similar to how a suburb is associated with a town or city.
Townlands have nothing to do with towns, they predate all farms, towns, citys etc. Names of towns city etc are usually taken from the townlands not the other way around.
The name has been twisted through translation, phonic spelling and time.
Townlands are based on cattle and the amount of grass needed to feed them, think of them as Cowlands rather than townlands and it might make more sense.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 September 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Or.... as you are in Oz   Sheeplands   ;D ;D

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 September 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the clues, I will follow them up, settled my conundrum about the townlands nicely and sadly our "sheeplands" are suffering due to no rain for ages. Cost of buying feed has become exorbitant throughout the eastern states.
Cheers

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 September 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
Checked out the  ord survey map and found what I wanted so many thanks for the tips.