Author Topic: Photograph date from clothing of children sat outside Warehorne Church  (Read 588 times)

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello again Rootschatters.
I have another photograph that I am trying to date, the only positive guide being the children’s clothing shown. The photo is not as clear as I would have liked because of the amount this section had to be enlarged. I do know that it has to be before 1937, as two memorial beech trees, now very large, were planted that year and would have appeared in this photograph.
Many thanks, from Scobie.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph date from clothing of children sat outside Church
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I`d say 1930`s at the earliest.
Were the two beech trees planted very near this spot?
Perhaps they were photographed whilst waiting for the event.
Viktoria.

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph date from clothing of children sat outside Church
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria.
The two beech trees that were planted are on the green in front of the children and would have been clearly in view on the uncropped version of this photograph, had they been there. As they were supposed to be planted as memorials to the Silver Jubilee of George V (or the Coronation of George VI) there would have been many local people present. And the green was (and is) a popular play area for local children.
I have a similar postcard postmarked 1909, obviously much earlier, but with the similarity of fence and trees, albeit since grown and trimmed somewhat. Difficult to judge, but with what you suggest as regards the children's clothing, I shall probably end up putting an approximate date of 1925 - 1935. Unless anything else comes to light.
Personally, if it wasn't for the Beech trees, I would have put the clothing at post World War II. But that's why we use this Forum. There are always people who can help.
Many thanks for your help, Viktoria,
from Scobie.